CHAPTER FORTY SIX

"You came

"You came.” Zuri says to Kira who’s just managed to evade the paparazzo outside the courtroom.

“No I’m just here to finalize my divorce. Of course I came.” They both share a hug. “I wouldn’t miss this for anything in this world.”

I barely slept last night. My mind kept whirring to the trial. What if the evidence is not sufficient? What if Madison goes scot free? What if the six months I lost myself because of her become meaningless? I had a rigorous talk with my therapist over the phone but it still feels like in a second everything could blow over.

“Hey, you’re overthinking. Everything’s gonna be fine. She’s guilty and if she doesn’t end up rotting in jail,” Zuri lowers her tone “I’ll kill her myself.”

I rest my head on her forehead “But everything feels so avalanche right now.” I whisper “I’m scared Zuri.”

“Everyone is scared of something but we will win this Darelle and you’ll never have to see that bitch ever again.” Zuri promises. And just like that, my fear flurries away like dust swept off a dirty surface. Because Zuri is here and everything is great when she’s around. Together we can face anything.

Seconds later mom walks in looking weary “Not only did I have to endure traffic but I arrive here and have to fight my way in?” She protests, coming to hug me. “Look at my hair, I just straightened it this morning.” She gestures to her disheveled hair that must have been ruffled by the paparazzo.

“That’s what happens when you’re a celebrity’s mom.” Zuri comments as we all take a seat on the padded chairs outside the court room.

Thomas advances towards us “Good morning everyone. The trial is just about to begin. Darelle we need to go.”

“Okay just give me a minute.” I tell him. “Mom you’ll be okay right?”

“Of course. I have Keilee with me.” She was also subpoenaed as a character witness. Which means both her and Zuri won’t be able to enter the court until it’s time for their testimonies.

I stand and Zuri follows suit. “Take care of each other.”

“Don’t worry we’ll be fine. We’ll be rooting for you from the waiting room.” She takes my hand and places it over her chest. “Remember, you’re stronger than you think and this heart beats only for you.”

We share a soft kiss before I affront Thomas. “Keilee you remember what we talked about?” Thomas asks.

“Yeah, be polite and don’t react irrationally to the questions. Why do I get the warnings?”

“Are you really that surprised?” Kira interjects.

Zuri scoffs “I’m a good person. I can answer questions rationally.”

“Yeah and I’m Mc Donald’s heiress.”

“A winery heiress is better anyway. Now go and take care of Darelle for me.” Zuri pulls her from the seat.