CHAPTER TEN

My mission in life is not merely to survive
                  but to thrive and to do so with some
                  passion ,some compassion, some humor
                  and some style.  

                  ~Maya Angelou~                                       

                                                          KEILEE

"Tonight we're getting wasted!" Kira hoots as we enter my penthouse.

"Girl chile. It's a charity event. No need to embarrass yourself in front of the rich." I tease.

She fakes a scowl. "I'm also one of the rich." That she is. Inevitably, she's the heiress to one of the best wineries. Soon she'll be the boss, a badass one at that.

"Now sit." Kira orders after we both take a shower. At different times of course.

"Calm down woman. I ain't paying you to order me around."

"You're not paying me at all."

I quietly slide on the stool in my bedroom. Getting ready together seemed like the logic thing because every time I try doing my own full makeup, I come out looking like God ran out of soil so she made due with the little she had. I'll take anything about getting ready except the makeup part. Which I terribly need because acne has made my face it's home.

"I can't wait to see how your dress looks on you." Kira says, her focus aimed on shaping my eyebrows.

"I better look like Beyoncé or I'm suing."

"I'm sure you'll look even better." She assures me.

After twenty agonizing minutes of "steady your face," "angle your face," "stop blinking too much" and "purse your lips," Kira downs her tools.

The woman staring back at me in the mirror is all grown. My brown skin now taut, stretches across my strong cheekbones leaving a radiant glow in its place. Lips nude as crème brulee, eyeliner and eye shadow perfect like it was done during a geometry class. Kira has outdone herself yet again. I wonder what mama would say if she saw me right now.

"You look amazing K." She murmurs proudly. Her own make up takes approximately fifteen minutes and we begin getting dressed. Clearly, I underestimated the ability of someone to add weight in three days.

Kira whistles behind me. "Damn girl. Are you up auctioning? Coz I'll gladly bid on you. Nobody will be able to take their eyes off you. Me included." She gushes, coming up behind me. "If your mom saw you right now, she'd be more than proud."

The peach, African, lace dress with a structured sleeve on my right hand sticks to my body like a second skin. My box braids are no longer tied up in a bun and my mom's set of earrings and necklace blend in perfectly with the beads on the dress.

I pull her towards her dress stretched out on my bed. "Your turn. Strip."

"Calm down you don't need to be so demanding about it." She flirts, unknotting her robe.

I help her put on the dress. I take in her petite build in the spaghetti straps sage dress which contrasts perfectly with her beige skin. Her midnight black hair is styled into a low messy bun. "You look exquisite Kira." I compliment.

"Thanks babe." She replies giving my cheek a small kiss.

"Though no one will be looking at you." I jest.

"Why?"

"Because they'll be too busy soaking in all this sexiness." I wave my hands over my body.

Kira heads to my closet and walks out with two pairs of heels. "Okay Beyonce, I'll try not to steal your show." Her phone pings with a message. "They're here. Wanna ride with us?"