CHAPTER SEVEN

Four days

Four days. I haven't heard from Darelle in four days. I've wanted to text him so many times but I'm not sure if we're at that stage yet. At the very least, I have to let him come to me. He's clearly struggling with something bigger than the blackmail itself.

Like he can read my thoughts, my phone rings. I clear my throat. "Hey Darelle." I say plainly, careful not to evoke my excitement. There's something about him that just brings me a feeling of satisfaction.

"Hi Zuri. I'm sorry I haven't been in contact. I was busy but I'd like us to meet." Of course he's been busy. He's a model, his schedule must be super tight.

"At Bailey's?" I ask referring to the coffee shop we met the other day.

"Somewhere private."

"Your place?"

"No." He refutes sternly. "I mean my girlfriend doesn't know about this." He corrects immediately. And his box of mystery keeps filling up. Why would he keep his girlfriend in the dark? Or is she involved in his blackmail?

"Why?" I can't help that I'm nosy. My question is followed by a baffled silence. "Okay then, my house it is." Everything in me tells me to demand answers but I don't. I chose this, I'm too far gone to back out now.

"Send me the address?"

"Okay in a minute."

When he hangs up, I'm left wondering what I've just agreed to. For all I know, he might lead his blackmailer right to my door.

You have to help him. There goes the invisible voice creeping into my head again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love the sound of sleep when I sleep in. It's riveting knowing you don't have to wake up to do adulting. Just as I snuggle my pillows tighter, a slow version of Here comes the Sun by The Beatles begins blaring from the speakers.

"Aargh! Why are you like this Rae?"

"Good morning Keilee, you have a meeting with Darelle in an hour." She states.

"Turn off Rae." I shout as loud as I can which is not much considering my voice is muffled by the pillows I'm strangling to death. It's moments like these that I wonder if I really need a virtual assistant.

After questioning my existence for twenty minutes, I swing off the bed and to the bathroom. A quick glance in the mirror and my whole mood shifts. More acne. I'm never taking skin care advice from an influencer ever again.

My morning routine is quick; shower, eat, clean. Ten minutes to our scheduled meeting time, the buzzer beeps. "What's up Cheyanne?"

"There's a very hot gentleman here to see you." She beams.

"Send him up."

"So what's the deal with him?" Her tone is suggestive.

"Good bye Cheyanne."