CHAPTER FIFTEEN

"Are you okay?" My question is met with dead silence

I try calling back but it goes straight to voicemail. What could she be doing at the cemetery in this rain? For the short time I've known Zuri, she's never sounded this scared. Worry knots in my stomach and before I know it, I'm sprinting out of the door.

Madison left with my car and because of the heavy downpour, there's barely any cab in sight. Which leaves one option; running. Something I don't have a problem with. I exercise for a living; this should be a piece of cake.

Except it's not. Running in the rain is like running backwards. Still, I sprint as though my life depends on it. Zuri's probably does. The sound of my heart pounding is so loud I can hear it in my ears. I don't let the foggy weather deter me from my mission. She's already doing so much for me. The least I could do is run to her rescue.

By the time I get to the cemetery, I'm soaked to the core and my breathing comes out ragged. My mouth and nose have a kindred task.

I scan the area for her but it's hard when the surrounding is clouded by mist. I resort to shouting her name but no answer comes. A figure crouched by the wheel of a car catches my sight. From the signature bun hairstyle, it's easy to make out that it's Zuri.

I jog to her. Not only is she soaked but she's also visibly trembling. Her right hand is clutching her chest as though she's having a heart attack, her mouth wide open, gasping for air.

I jump into action because this is clearly not a result of the cold alone. Zuri is hyperventilating and if I don't act soon, she might pass out.

I squat down next to her and take her shaking hands in mine. "Hey, hey shh. It's me, Darelle. Nothing's gonna hurt you. I'm here. Try to breathe, princess." I soothe.

Zuri is so spaced out that she doesn't register my voice. Even with the heavy rain, I can easily distinguish the tears rolling down her cheeks.

God, how long has she been in this state?

I'm not new to the panic attack concept. I know exactly what I have to do. Regulate her heart palpitations and the rapid breathing and snap her out of the spiraling thoughts.

"Look at me, Zuri." Her teary eyes catch my reassuring ones. "Focus on my voice."

"Breathe through your nose." She does as I mentally count the four seconds. "You're doing great Princess. Now hold your breath until I tell you to stop." I count the seven seconds. "Finally, breathe out via pursed lips slowly." I count the final eight seconds, exhaling together with her.

For a technique I read about in a magazine, I'm surprised when it works. Her breathing returns to its normal state. "You did so well Zuri. I'm proud of you." I use my thumb to wipe away her tears mixed with rain water.

"You came." Zuri murmurs, wistfully. Before I can reply, she dives into my chest, her tiny hands wrapping tightly around me. She sighs softly when I reciprocate the hug with just as much force. I feel her spiraling heartbeat slowly return to its normalcy. Raw, quiet sobs follow shortly after. And fuck if they don't tear through my heart.