CHAPTER FIVE.

KEILEE

The next morning, I make sure to be up early. Monday by itself is already a hassle and crossing the king of assholes is definitely not on my to do list. Not today Roach.

I stop by Starbucks for some Caramel Frappuccino and chocolate chip cookies. "Good morning K" Kira greets just as I take my first bite.

"Don't Good Morning K me. In fact, you better start thinking of coffin designs because I'm gonna kill you."

"It wasn't me." She says frantically. I face palm. "You don't even know what I'm accusing you of."

"Fine what'd I do?" she asks. She moves closer to take my Frappuccino but I slap her hand away. "Ow!"

"Yeah ow is what I felt when I found out you followed Darelle using my account." I say in a hushed tone.

She looks at me as if I've said the most ridiculous thing. "Girl I helped you. Did you see that photo he posted? Talk about abs." She shivers excitedly. "Yeah I did but you seem to forget that he is dating." I remind her.

"Fine. I'm sorry. Although, my match making instincts are still strong. I can feel it in my bones." She winks at me "Don't forget there's this thing called break ups. I know you've thought about them breaking up." I mean she's not wrong but that's not the point.

"Keilee, Chief wants to see you in his office." Peter interrupts us. Here we go again.

"What did you do now?" Kira inquires. "Existed apparently." I bid Kira and make way to Roach's office. My knock on his door is immediately followed by a low. "Come in."

Frederick Seaman- our head of department- is whispering something to Roach across the desk. They stop talking when they notice me. "Miss Bakari." Roach calls, his voice bored. How I loathe when he calls me that.

I make eye contact with Seaman and give him a nod in acknowledgement. He returns my nod with flirty eyes. Chauvinist on one side and pervert on the other. I hate my life.

"You asked for me?" I ask to no one specifically. Roach flips closed his laptop and leans back on his chair his hands crossed.

"What did the man you met outside my office tell you?" Seriously? A week later?

"Nothing." I lie. "He barely looked at me."

He tilts his head to one side. "If he tries to contact you, you have to tell me immediately. Understood?"

"Why?" My question is daring.

A dry chuckle slips out of Roach's lips. "Fred look at that," He gestures at me. "Little miss Keilee over here thinks she has the authority to question me."

Seaman scoffs. "I may know a better way to use that pretty mouth." His eyes skirt my frame.

Roach shifts his attention back to me. "You will tell me because I say so. Because I am your boss. Failure to comply will lead to more than me taking you off a few cases." His warning is clear.

"Yes sir." I reply. I long for the day I'll have the courage to give him a piece of my mind. God knows every time I try I come short of words.

Don't cry Keilee. Don't let them see how much this affects you.

"Good. Close the door on your way out." He dismisses me.

Immediately I leave his office, I bolt to the bathroom. I rub my moist eyes with my handkerchief.

They're not worth your tears Keilee. I know but sometimes it's too much. I didn't ask to be the only female in our department.

Back at my desk, I think broadly about what Roach told me and the only thing I feel is the need to help Darelle. They're hiding something and if helping Darelle means I get close to destroying them, then so be it. I'm willing to risk anything at this point.