CHAPTER THIRTY SIX

My favorite part of tonight is just about to roll

My favorite part of tonight is just about to roll. I can't wait to see her reaction to what comes next. "Come." I lead Zuri by the waist to the dining table that took me quite some time to set up. But she deserves it. That and so much more.

After pulling the chair for her, I pour us both wine and settle opposite her. "Such a gentleman" she mumbles to herself.

"I don't know where this spontaneous date came from but I must say I'm loving it" she gently sips her wine. I am jealous of the rim.

"You'll like it. Open your food" I encourage.

"Mmmh let's see." She flips off the top plate. Her eyes open wide, her jaw slacked. "D what-"

"I know it's a bit early with my case and the paparazzi still on us but this is what I want Zuri. This is what I've wanted for a long time."

"Yes D. I'll be your girlfriend" she says, holding the card written Will you be my girlfriend? close to her heart.

"Are you sure because there's no coming back from that. I've said this before and I'll keep saying it; I really like you and care about you Zuri. I'm comfortable when I'm around you, you understand me in a way nobody else does. You make me happy. You've fought for me not once or twice and that is why I want you to give me a chance to reciprocate. To show you just how much my future would suck without you in it"

She wipes the corner of her eyes "You want me to cry don't you?"

"No. I want you to give me a chance to be your happiness donor"

She grins, "Yes please. Now can we eat that food?"

I laugh "I thought you'd never ask" I stand to get the food from the microwave.

"I know it's leftovers from lunch but if you don't want we could order take out?" I suggest.

A little frown forms on her face "Are you kidding me? You think I'd say no to jollof rice? Never"

"Enjoy then"

"Oh I plan to"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You look so hot and bad boyish right now" Zuri says, a coy smile on her face. After the beautiful candle lit dinner, I decided to hit the gym for a bit before joining Zuri in bed. Who is now looking at me like she could devour me. I'm not entirely opposed to that though.

I'm not sure I'm ready to face my fears yet but I'm fine with taking care of her without getting anything in return. I can live with that.

"You think so?" I ask, carefully inching towards the bed which she so graciously inhabits. In my oversized t-shirt might I add.

"Yeah" she props herself on her elbows, her gaze lustfully holding mine.

I dawdle to the footboard of the bed "You know what they say about bad boys."