CHAPTER SIX

Madison: Pick up the damn phone!

Madison: Where the hell are you?

Madison: You were supposed to be back an hour ago. Five minutes Darelle. if you're not back in five minutes you won't like what I'll do.

A wave of panic engulfs me as I read the texts over and over. I don't think anyone should be this scared of their girlfriend. But when you're in my shoes, fear becomes something you identify with and eventually, you learn to pick your battles.

"I could give you a ride." Zuri offers, taking the space beside me.

"No it's fine. I'll get a cab." Although my luck at stopping one has been unfruitful so far.

"I don't see any stopping for you." If she knew what she just agreed to, getting me to ride in her car would be the least of her worries.

"Zuri, I'll be fine. Go." I say hoping she can hear the desperation in my voice.

"I'll just wait here till you find one." She insists.

"Can you leave?" I snap.

She continues standing next to me with no intention of leaving. "I could do this all night long you know." Too damn assertive.

Finally, a cab stops and I jump into the backseat without looking back at her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One step into the house and Madison's rage is palpable. She's not upset, she is livid. If I look closely, I could see fire coming out of her ears.

"What the hell were you doing at the coffee shop?" Her screams get louder every day.

Her steps towards me are bold and angry. "Were you cheating on me Darelle? Is that what this is?" She's one to talk. That's a trick question and I know how it'll go, she'll get more hysterical and blame it on me. "But you know better than that."

I carefully approach her. For lack of better words, I pacify her with, "I'm sorry."

"Don't fucking I'm sorry me!" She punctuates every word with punches to my chest. "What I want to know is what you were doing there for the past one hour."

At my silence, she raises her brows expectantly. "Well?"

"My high school friend is still in town." I answer finally.

"And why wasn't I notified?"

I sigh loudly and flump on the couch. "Look Madison, I'm sorry for not informing you. I don't want to fight tonight." Fighting is all we do nowadays and I always lose.

Reluctantly, she picks up her purse and hands me a credit card. Scratch that, hands me my credit card. "I'm having a party tonight. I need you to go get me drinks. Be back in fifteen. Not a second later." She orders and hustles past me with no regard whatsoever to my exhaustion. I spent the whole day having camera flashes all over my face while she gets to enjoy the gains.