CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

"So what's your deal with that handsome man who's been gracing our walls?" Cheyanne wiggles her eyebrows suggestively

"So what's your deal with that handsome man who's been gracing our walls?" Cheyanne wiggles her eyebrows suggestively. Her long ponytail bobs as she rounds her desk.

"I don't think my father pays you to be nosy, Miss White." I quip.

"He pays me to monitor everyone that enters and leaves The Celine and that includes Darelle." She counters swiftly.

I check my phone. "You know I'm actually running late for work. Marta is coming to clean today, give her this key when she comes." I shove the key in her hand.

"Deflect all you want but I'll still be here in the evening when you get back from work." She calls after me.

As I drive to work, I marvel at the orange coloring the city. I love autumn. It gives hue to the dull, poisoned world.

Fifteen minutes later, I'm settled on my desk. I start working on Lucas' case. I just hope this plan I have in mind works because there isn't another where that came from.

I run through his history. Most photos of him are with his mom. Looks like he is particularly close to her. My first part of the plan might just work out.

"Don't waste your time, I already tried that." A familiar voice snaps me out of my victory trance.

I turn around and come face to face with Peter. Instinctively, I roll my eyes "What?"

"I already went to see the mom and she didn't offer much. She said she hasn't seen him since the shoot-out." He explains smugly even though he didn't accomplish anything or maybe he's just happy to burst my bubble.

Well unlucky for him, I have never identified myself as a quitter. "I'm not you now am I? I don't walk around with detectives hot on my tail." I know for a fact he took a cop with him. It's typical Peter style.

He scowls. "You know what? Fuck it Keilee. I've always tried my best to be nice to you but what do you do in return? Insult me." Peter snaps.

I give him a once over before I set him straight. He is dressed in brown khaki pants and a window pane blue polo shirt.

"You wanna talk nice?" I start, "Where is this niceness when y'all come to work and nobody calls me? Or better yet when you watch Roach step all over me just because I'm a woman? And most especially where is this niceness when you take credit for my work?" I seethe.

I know some things might be beyond their control but fuck I'm done with people calling me names for fighting for something I deserve just as much as they do.

"That doesn't give you a reason to be a raging bitch." Peter has the effrontery to say

"Just because you act like Roach shits oxygen doesn't warrant you to give me a pep talk. Fuck you and fuck Roach." His eyes widen in surprise. "You can run along and tell him I said that. I know you want to." I'm just about done with everyone thinking my race or gender equals my level of worth.