CHAPTER THIRTEEN

TW: Sexual Assault towards the end.

"Bye Darelle." Zuri's apartment concierge vigorously waves as I exit the building.

As much as today went contrary to what I expected, there's still some hope. Is this what they mean when they say putting all your eggs in one basket? I trust Zuri the phone but the question should be if she really should trust me.

I've lied to her not once or twice. I've hidden things from her. Things she should know inorder to navigate the tracking easily. But it's not everyday a man comes out with domestic violence allegations and people hear him out. Others will say she was self defending herself and others will say it's my fault she hits me and truly it is. Which is why it's a secret I intend to take to the grave.

Zuri will help me find evidence on the blackmailer and then I'll find a way to spin the tale. And then we can go our separate ways. No more intentional rubbing sauce off her mouth and enjoying her blushing..

I can't deny she is quickly becoming one of the constants to my happiness. But I have to tread carefully. I can't lead her on and eother can I let her get attached. My life is already complicated enough. Even though her jokes tend to make it a bit bearable.

Madison on the other hand will kill me if she finds out I left the house. Good thing she is out of town for a new skin care product launch for this brand she's been working with. I also left my phone at home just to be on the safe side.

But I can't be sure she doesn't have people following me. I yearn for the day I will feel free. But you know what they say; freedom is for the birds. I've made peace with the fact that maybe I'll only find freedom in death.

There is something satisfying in just walking around without paparazzi wanting to eat you up or overwhelm you. So as I walk home, I am grateful for the peace, fresh air and silence.

By the time I get back to the apartment, it is still as quiet as I left it. I breathe a sigh of relief after I don't spot Maddie anywhere around the house.

I head towards my bedroom to check on my phone. I find text messages from my sister.

Arielle: Hey stranger. You got another family or what?

Arielle: Mom is worried about you. You haven't visited in so long we both miss you.

Arielle: Call her please or at least pick up her calls.

I miss them too but how am I supposed to face them and lie to them. I can't just sit, eat with them when I know their lives might be in danger and I'm not close to figuring out how to get them from the mess I created.

It is bad enough that I've hidden Madison's tendencies from them and I have to paint her as this amazing girlfriend who's just too busy to visit them when in reality she doesn't give a shit about them. She once called them good for nothing peasants who want to rob me of my money. The damn irony.