CHAPTER FOUR

KEILEE

Kira is passed out on my lap, her legs on the other end of the couch. I haven't been able to sleep. Every time I try to, I hear the ringing sound in my ear. Have I said I hate September?

I slip away from Kira, placing her head carefully on the throw pillow. I walk towards the French doors that lead to terrace. The city is as quiet as I gaze at the 2am night sky which is a welcome sight, aglow with bright city lights appearing like magic.

I won't be able to get much sleep tonight or any at all so why not stand out here and revel in the beauty of the night sky whilst pondering how far I've come without the one person I hoped would be with me.

"Couldn't sleep?" Kira asks standing by the doors. "Yeap." I whisper. She walks over and hugs me from behind "I'm so sorry baby." Her voice low with emotion.

"It's almost ten years Kira." I can't help the quiver in my voice.

I turn around and hug Kira tightly, tears threatening to fall. "I don't know how you feel but I'm always here to help in any way I can. I promise K." She rubs my back gently.

"I just need one day. One whole day when anxiety won't keep nagging the back of my mind. When the world won't feel so overwhelming. Just one day of peace Kira." I whisper, my head resting on the crook of her neck.

Unshed tears blind my vision as my lips tremble, almost giving in to my helplessness. My racing heart could be mistaken for a formula one car yet I keep the attack at bay.

Is this the price I pay for being born into this world?

The world has wronged me in numerous ways but snatching away my mother is a fault I'll never forgive. That too at fourteen? Surely my guardian angels must hate me.

Sometimes I miss her so much that I can't breathe. And that's when the anxiety increases tenfold.

"I wish I had the right words to tell you. But I promise to always be here for you and to fight with you and for you every step of the way." She ascertains.

"Thanks Kira."

"That's what best friends are for."

"For food?" I chuckle, my sour mood slightly improved.

She smiles. "Yes and for shoulders to cry on. Don't you forget that." I'm grateful to have her in my life.

She pulls me back into the house. "Come on. Let's go in and have some ice cream. It cures everything."

"Damn right it does."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday has always been my lazy day for wallowing in a good book. Today is different though. Because I have a huge decision to make. When Kira leaves and I've taken a shower and breakfast, I settle on my couch. Should I really help Darelle?

Yes. That's the first thing my instincts tell me.

The cons of helping him are; I could get killed because I have no idea how dangerous the person I'm tracing is.

I could lose my job.

I could be arrested for illegal hacking hence losing my computer privileges.

The pros of helping him are; I get to see more of him?

And...

The cons outnumber the pros and yet I can't shake off the feeling that keeps telling me I have to help him. Helping him means putting myself in danger and not helping him means I'll have to live with the guilt of not helping him when I was in a position to.

I may not know the guy much but from the two times we've met, I could easily spot his turmoil. Whatever this is, it's clearly weighing him down. And for him to come to me for help means he was out of options.

And to top that, Roach is an asshole at best and I know if he wanted to help Darelle he would already have.

This is what I get for sticking my nose in people's business.

Still undecided, I move to my office upstairs which sits abreast of my bedroom. The sleek modern space is painted white to allow reflection of light. At the centerpiece of the office, is a large desk made of reclaimed wood.

On top of the desk, there's a desktop computer, a laptop and a potted plant. Behind my chair, there's a shelf with antiques and pictures of me and my mom. The room is also equipped sound system and a whiteboard for brainstorming ideas.

I've always been a tech enthusiast. If I could live and breathe one thing, it'd be technology. Maybe I could open my own Tech company someday. When I do, I'll make sure to invite Roach to the launch just to rub it in his stupid face.

After getting some work done, a notification on my phone surprises me. Darellejl made a post.

I don't remember following him. Kira! That conniving little bitch. Now he'll know I was stalking him. Before I can stop myself, I click on the notification and fuck this man is handsome and ripped.

He is clad in a dark blue suit. His six pack –or is it eight- and v shaped torso enchantingly visible from his shirtless body. His side profile faces the camera, his beard slightly shaven. One-word, hot. My attempt to zoom in proves futile when I like the picture instead.

Piqued by the comments, I decide to check them out.

@LarueD - Damn this man is hotter than the Sahara. Damn straight he is.

@Djlarue- @amazon can I get one?

@Darelleeee - hey God it's me again.

This man is what they call a sight for sore eyes. I wonder how it'd feel like running my hands along his chest, down to his torso and eventually to his-

Bad Keilee. Down girl.

Actually, that's enough internet for today, I'm just gonna go downstairs and watch a horror movie without the romance shit. And maybe bleach my brain while I'm at it.