Chapter 2.7 - Bandits

(⁠╥⁠﹏⁠╥⁠) Hello readers, I apologize for the late update. I know some of you have been craving for the next update but I end up not updating for long.

_____

Hiroka overheard Lord Boon and Lady Boon saying, "Have a safe journey, Lord Isamu," as the carriage was already moving. As they waved him goodbye and safety, the curtain was still being raised.

He waved them back before letting go of the drape to allow them to fall.

After a sufficient amount of rest at the Boon's inn, Hiroka and the two knights were ready to set off again for their destination.

Hiroka sat back and unwinded on the comfortable cushion. His lips let out a quiet yawn. He wanted to sleep again because of how cozy the chair was.

The carriage seat was softer than the bed in the inn, so he couldn't help but yawn softly and then briefly close his eyes. It's not like the bed in the inn where they had previously rested was not comfortable and soft.

They arrived at the gate that was on the other side from where they entered last. As before, there were four inspector guards stationed by the gate, and Asher and Riko were once again immediately shown their gold tags by these four guards, who naturally had the same expression as the guards from when they had first entered.

Four guards saluted respectfully as they made space for the carriage. After returning their salutation, Asher and Rikos pushed the carriage ahead.

***

Being far from the place of the aristocracy and already encircled by forests. After finishing his last glance out the window to take in the scenery, Hiroka pulled back the curtain.

The ride wasn't noisy. Riko and Asher had their eyes on the road and were alert to everything around them. Hiroka, who was getting bored, used his left hand to do magic. Fish, a cat, a rabbit, and other animals were shaped.

Hiroka had control of his ice, which had taken the form of a fish swimming about inside the carriage. After amusing himself, he allowed the fish to disintegrate and transform into some lovely sparkles above him.

'Magic is certainly great and lovely, but it's also hazardous... whenever you abuse your power.'

Hiroka's body jerked forward as the carriage abruptly halted, almost slamming against the wall of the carriage in front of him. Thankfully, he was able to protect himself from the sudden force.

'Wha-' Hiroka was mid-thought when he heard Asher's worried voice.

"Your highness, don't leave under any circumstances."

Hiroka said sternly yet anxiously, "What happened?"

"It's an attack!"

Asher and Riko both responded, "Bandits," while casting a chilly gaze toward the bandits in front of the horses.

Asher said, "We've been... Surrounded," which alarmed Hiroka. Since being transmigrated to the realm described in the book he had just finished reading, this was his first meeting with bandits. He has never had this kind of trouble. He discovered that bandits were criminals who frequently belonged to groups and attacked and stole from tourists. Bandits who mercilessly kill their victims.

The carriage was surrounded by six bandits. They were very large males holding a keen dagger in each hand. Scars on their bodies and faces gave them a spooky appearance. The bandits' instinct to kill was both felt and visible. But despite their instinct, Asher and Riko remained unmoved.

The voice of a man with a huge grin on his face was heard saying, "Kill the Lord inside the carriage as per command!" He was in charge. He was an extremely muscular man with a scar over his left eye. Sword in hand. He was in front of the horses and was addressing them to his right with a sword. He gave orders to a few of the bandits, who responded by nodding and grinning broadly. Their eyes betrayed their greed-their need for money.

The leader roared as his men charged the carriage, "KILL THEM ALL!"

Hiroka flinched after hearing everything. He took a step away from the lone exit door and tried to slow down his breathing as a quick approach to calm his dread and worry.

Meanwhile, outside, Asher has frequently encountered this type of incident. Made a move right away and chanted a short, well-known magic phrase.

The bandits were prevented from moving on to Hiroka when a fire suddenly arose, blocking their path. Asher gave Riko a nod. As soon as Riko noticed this, he stooped to the ground and moved toward the carriage's door to protect Hiroka.

Asher shouted, "Don't hold back! Even if they're humans, put the highness's safety first!" Riko overheard him. That was for him, he knew. Riko had never previously battled people. With regard to his choice, he felt a little unsure.

Instead of murdering a human, Riko had originally planned to simply knock them out and throw them in jail. However, he knew that one day, or perhaps even today, it was possible that they would easily escape from jail and return to exact their vengeance.

'If you don't kill, you'll be killed instead...' Riko remembered the exact words that the Crown prince or, should he say, the captain of the Callisto knights had said to him a year prior with great clarity.

Riko unleashed his sword and took hold of the handle. The moment was right for the bandits to advance as the fire that Asher had chanted had started to slowly fade. Riko took a deep breath and briefly closed his eyes. Riko's eyes opened and he gave them a chilly stare when the fire eventually subsided...

-----

(A.N: I'm sorry for the brief chapter, but this is all I have for now.)