62

"Your honor," Namjoon called, standing up.  "I would like to initiate the continuation of this convocation by calling Mr. Min to the stand."

Mr. Li jumped up as well. "Objection! It's my turn to have the floor, your Honor."

"Denied. Let the kid speak." The judge waved the lawyer away.

Li blinked. "What the?"

"Didn't you hear the man?" Namjoon sneered at him. "He said repudiate, let the stripling enunciate, dumbass."

Li scowled at him, looking like he wanted to punch the student, but he couldn't with all the people staring at them and he reluctantly took his seat, forced to give up his turn.

Yoongi walked to the front, and he and Namjoon shared a grin.

"Mr. Min, is it true you have a mental disorder called dissociative identity disorder?" Namjoon asked, clasping his hands together in his back.

"Yes, it's true." Yoongi answered calmly.  "I've had it since I was six years old. I take sertraline to treat it."

"It's true," Barnes whispered to the judge. "I have the paperwork to prove it right here."  He handed the file to the judge, who scanned the documents approvingly, before handing them to the jury to look over.

"Your Honor, since you can't take Mr. Min's word for it, I would like to solicitate you to sanction the proposal of allowing the other personalities to emerge and take their word for it." Namjoon requested.

"Objection!" Li was on his feet again. "The personalities are just an extension of the accused! They'll say whatever he wants them to say! There's no way this is fit enough to stand-"

"I'll allow it." The judge nodded.

Li's mouth dropped open. "This - what?!  This is fucking ridiculous! This isn't even a legit courtroom! None of this is going as it should be!"

"You mean, because it's not going your way?" Namjoon raised an eyebrow.

"Shut up, kid." Li snapped. "You've been on my nerves since you walked in here, acting like some smartass know it all. Just because you use some big words here and there doesn't mean you're a hot shot."

"I am a smartass know it all." Namjoon replied. "That's how I won the first charge.  And I am a hot shot, that's why I'm beating you so far in the second charge."

Before the enraged lawyer could spit out again, Namjoon stepped close into his personal space, looking over the man's shoulder as he whispered into the man's ear. "And, if I were you, I wouldn't write a book bragging about my success, because some random little high school student with a brain could read it, reverse engineer your strategies and use them against you when you try to come after his teacher. Dumbass."

He shouldered Li aside and strode up to Yoongi. "Now, Mr. Min, it's true that you have three other personalities, right?"

"That’s also true." Yoongi lied smoothly.  "Their names are Suga, Yoonji and Yoonie, who's three."

Someone from the jury cooed and Namjoon knew they had this in the bag.

"Objection! How do we know it's really the alters taking over and answering and not him acting?" Li shouted.

"Mr. Li does have a point, Mr. Kim." The judge said. "If it's Mr. Min acting then you will lose this case."

"We can trigger them out individually and you can see for yourself." Namjoon assured him. "Trust me, when the other alters emerge you can see the difference."

"That's not fit enough to stand trial! I've let a lot of shit slide today, but I draw the line at this! What's next - are you going to say a ghost is gunna take the stand next and prove you two aren't dating?" Li scoffed.

"Mr. Li, watch your language." The judge warned him. "But he does have a point, Mr. Kim. I'll make a request for a measurer to come in and gauge Mr. Min."

"A who and a what now?" Hoseok whispered.

"A person who detects the brainwaves of someone with D.I.D. to verify when someone else takes over." Taehyung whispered back.

"Ahh…" Hoseok nodded. Then he suddenly shot upright. "Wait but then won't he see four wavelengths? After they both lied and said there were only three? Even if they don't get in trouble for lying, they'll certainly fall apart if Agust takes over and ruins everything."

Namjoon and Yoongi shared a worried look, obviously thinking the same thing.

"Your Honor, you don't have to go out of your way like that." Namjoon backed up, his heart pounding. "If you'll give us another recess, we'll come up with a different way to prove it to you-"

He bumped into Li, who pushed him back to the front. "Don't back out now, kid." He sneered. "Unless you're hiding something?" He raised an eyebrow.

Namjoon glared but didn't know what to say.

"Where's all your big boy words now, hm?" Li cocked his head.

Bang!

"We’ll have a recess until the measurer gets here with his equipment. Thirty minutes." The judge said, standing up and stretching.

Yoongi shot a look at Namjoon, who looked at him helplessly.

There was no way they could win now, not if the measurer discovered Agust and demanded he be brought out as well.

The two hurried to their group in the back to discuss.

"Fuck, we're so fucked!" Hoseok whisper-shouted.

"It's okay, we knew the plan was risky." Namjoon tried to reassure him but his own voice was shaking.

"What are we going to do?" Jimin cried.

"What can we do?" Seokjin looked at the ground. "We took a risk and it failed."

Taehyung hugged Yoongi. "It's not over yet.  We'll think of something."

Yoongi didn't respond to the affection, staring off into nothing.

"I could try to bribe everyone here?" Hoseok offered. "Cassie can show up here in ten minutes flat with a briefcase full of cash for everyone."

Jimin raised his hand. "I can throw a tantrum! If I try hard enough, I can shatter glass with my screaming!"

"Maybe Yoongi could fake sickness and we could ask to postpone the trial?" Seokjin asked more reasonably.

Jungkook bit his lips. He had an idea, but he wasn't sure if he should say it.

"No, guys, we can't get ourselves into any more trouble." Namjoon sighed. "Maybe… maybe the measurer just won't pick up Agust. Maybe we'll just get a lucky break.  Maybe we can confess there's four alters but the fourth is just too dangerous to let out, which is true."

'Um, guys…?" Jungkook raised his hand. "I…have an ide-"

"What is it Kook?" Namjoon immediately faced him.

"Oh, thank God, Jungkook thought of something." Seokjin sighed in relief, falling against Hoseok.

Jungkook blushed, looking down at his toes.  "Um, well, it's kinda… risky, and… bad… but…"

"Anything is better than having Agust reemerge." Taehyung told him.

"What's your idea Koo?" Yoongi asked him softly.

Jungkook hesitated for a moment longer before finally meeting everyone's gaze.

"Agust is the most powerful alter, he would be discovered by the measurer first and there's no way we could try to hide him." Jungkook explained, his heart racing.

Everyone nodded, waiting for him to continue.

"So, we don't try to hide him."

Hoseok blinked. "That's what you came up with? Hey guys, I could die parachuting so I might as well not even bring a parachute!"

"What I'm saying is… we can't hide Agust… but there's someone who can." Jungkook insisted.

He took a deep breath before saying the words that shocked everyone into silence.

"Let's bring Yoongi's father in here."