Chapter 4 - Far From Done

The only sound Ash heard on the way back was his shoes tracking through the mud with every step he took. He expected these dance lessons to be a complete waste of time, but with how it's going now, maybe quite the opposite. Mostly, it was Serena leading him around which was pretty humiliating even if you speak on the experience difference gap. He didn't know much about dancing, but he assumed it was supposed to be him leading her.

He remembered having to meet up with Clemont the next day. The sun had long set and Ash should've been gotten something to eat, but he was drained. He continued making his way back to his room, ignoring the pangs of hunger in his stomach.

He passed the gym court and headed up towards the dorms, also trying to ignore the squeaks from shoes and swishes from the nets he heard earlier. He didn't want to think of all the potential things he might've missed. That was far too distracting for him and close enough to have him ripping his hair out. He needed to calm down unless he wanted a worse punishment, if that was even possible.

Opening the door to his room, he was surprised to see Gary sitting at the desk busy with some work. His gaze was focused downward, his fingers typing away on the keyboard in front of him.

"You're back," Gary said casually with a wave. "I figured you'd grab something to eat after your lessons."

"Just not hungry." Ash sighed and kicked his shoes off to the side, flopping onto his bed. He had some work to do, but he decided he could finish it all tomorrow during his designated study with Clemont. It was a valid reason to slack off at the moment.

"Ash Ketchum not hungry? Never thought I'd see the day." Gary snorted, huffing out a laugh. "All that dancing didn't get you worked up for a five course meal or a light snack at least?"

He turned, facing the wall. "I'm drained, man. That's what."

It was difficult not to focus on Gary's loud typing and Ash tried desperately to think of anything else. He wanted to yank the laptop from under Gary's fingers and toss it out the window. Maybe shoot it into the trash. That would be his basketball of the day. He always found a way.

"Y'know, I heard that Serena girl is gorgeous," Gary started saying and hummed. "I would be anything but drained if I were you. Matter a fact, I'd have my clothes ready for the next lesson, folded and ready to go on my bed at my side."

She is. Ash couldn't deny that.

Ash looked over his shoulder and glared at his friend, multiple things going through his mind. "I'm seriously thinking you should be the one in my spot with this probation."

"Nice one, Ashy-boy, but I already rejected your offer," Gary reminded with a shrug. "I'm just saying dance lessons with a cute girl sounds like a win-win situation to me. Hell, fun even."

He had to admit that his time with her wasn't bad. She was a nice girl with her head on her shoulders. It was enjoyable regardless of the fact that she was mainly moving him around the dance floor, her soft hands guiding his rough ones.

"I honestly care about getting back on the court. I should be staying on top of my game." Pulling himself up, he looked at Gary. Ash thought of the offer he gave Serena. He doesn't believe she'll remember it or take it into consideration like she said. Maybe she said it to be nice, Basketball isn't her thing, like dancing isn't his. They're doing this to get it over with. "I won't be participating in dancing activities after this is done and I'm sure me and her won't speak to each other either."

Gary sighed and got back to typing, getting closer to finishing what he was working on. "If you say so. You do you."

"I'm going on a run."

"But you just got back?" Gary said, stopping his typing again. He watched as Ash yanked off his shirt to put a white tank top over his head. He grabbed his shoes and shoved them onto his feet quickly.

"I know, and I'm ready to head out again," Ash replied. "I've got to get moving when I missed practice. I can't sit here and listen to you type either, man." He shuts the door on his way out before Gary could say anything else to him and quite frankly, Ash wouldn't be bothered if he ran all night.

The next day began with Serena eating with Clemont, who insisted, wanting her to fill him in on her situation with Ash.

"How did it go? I hope he didn't leave a bad impression already."

She sighed, thoughts from the last day sprinting back. She wasn't too exhausted after, but she felt more tired physically than she has in a long time. Teaching someone with no dance experience or real interest in what was being taught was challenging no doubt, though she only hopes she grows into a wonderful teacher during this despite that.

"It went well," Serena said with a shrug. "Nothing was different from what you told me about him, so there wasn't anything to worry about."

Clemont nodded, satisfied at that, and took a bite out of his food before swallowing. "Did he come to a liking for dancing?"

"I wouldn't say that. He has said he wanted to get these lessons over with." She took a bite out of her own food as well, continuing. "I don't think his view on it has changed and I can't tell if I'm being as good as a teacher like I wanted."

"Nonsense. I'm positive your teaching is fantastic. The dancers that go here would love to get lessons from you. People speak highly of you often," Clemont told her, his soft blues eyes on her and a encouraging smile on his face as he adjusted his glasses. "You can't come to a conclusion based on the results from one test subject."

"You're right." Serena mirrored his smile. "I appreciate the confidence you have in me, Clemont. It means a lot."

"You do the same for me. It's what friends are for."

She leaned her hand across their table, letting it connect to his, gently squeezing it. She smiled and took her phone out, checking the time. With that, she stood up, taking her trash along with her.

"Time for me to make my way to the dance studio. I promised the girls I'd meet up with them there," Serena informed her friend. "Thanks again for your support."

"Anytime, and I should be making my way to the library for Ash's tutoring session today," Clemont replied, standing with his own trash in his hands, and bag on his back. "I'll see you later."

"Sounds good!"

They parted ways and Serena reminded herself it was just one class. They were far from done and there were more days for improvement. She put on a smile, but admittedly she was a bit worried. She knew Ash liked a challenge, so convincing him to dance wasn't a problem. He wasn't like anyone she had ever met before, but she was determined. Maybe he wouldn't like dance by the end, but she was going to be certain he learned at least something by the time he was done.