Chapter 36 - Out Of Our Control

After minutes of chatting and relaxing in the living room, Grace realized that Ash and Serena would want to grab their things and clean up before dinner. Dinner was already done and the three went to the car and collected their bags.

Grace spoke up as she led them past the house and towards the side. "I did adjustments to the guest house, Serena, but had I known you would bring your... friend, I would've got an extra bed or room ready." Serena's face slightly dropped at her mother's humorously unsure look. "I only assumed you'd like a bigger bed rather than the one in your old room."

They passed a long rounded pool with tall, well taken care of plants bordering it. Next to the pool, looked to be the guest house then forest trees were in the back and side of the building.

"That's fine." Serena shook her head, putting on an awkward smile. Her eyes shot to Ash who had been infuriatingly quiet. "We can share."

"Wonderful." Grace let out a breath, relaxing her shoulders and waved for them to follow. "Follow me then."

She escorted them through the back, a sliding glass door that led them surprisingly to a large bedroom. It had gray walls and a made up bed with many fluffy white and light green pillows. The comforter was white and gray with a lime green throw blanket on the end of the bed. There was a tall, wooden dresser and two side tables. A normal bedroom.

"This is the bedroom." Grace went on past the bed and to a door across from it.

She guided them down a hall, pointing to a white door on their left she informed them was the bathroom. She walked them straight to the living area with a couch. Next to the couch, were double doors that seemed to lead back around to the other side of the pool. In the corner was the kitchen which was similar to the bedroom with its white cabinets and gray walls. It had a short two seater island and was complete with black and white marble counters. Although, for a guest house, it was quite a sized kitchen.

"I'll let you both relax and make yourselves at home. Here's the key for both the front and back doors," she said, showing off the key in her hand and placing it on the island. "I'll see you two in a bit." Grace walked by them and left out the door, abandoning them to stand in between the kitchen and living room.

"I'm surprised you didn't protest at our sleeping arrangement," Serena broke the silence.

"I don't find an issue. There's a sofa. I'll sleep here," Ash said, gesturing to the soft looking couch.

She nodded with a tight smile. "Okay." Ash's eyes swept over her face and Serena could feel the air grow heavy. She cleared her throat, "My mom seemed to like you. How did you pull that off?" She chuckled quietly.

"I'm kind of hurt that you're surprised. Am I really that bad?" He said with a lazy and sort of arrogant grin. "I'm decent enough with meeting parents."

Serena gave him a sharp look. "How many girls have you dated where you had the pleasure of 'meeting the parents'?"

Ash paused, realizing this was the first.

Noticing his silence, she teased, "Exactly."

"No, this is a first, but fine." Ash inclined then graced his lips with a self-satisfied smirk. "Could just be that intriguing energy of mine."

"It is," Serena whispered in all seriousness, her eyes looking deeply into his. Ash's smile fell a little, brow creased. "I realized that I never thanked you."

"For what?"

"For coming. It didn't cross my mind until my mom mentioned how much you had to drop to come here." She began nervously shift on her feet. "We're in the middle of a semester and here I am asking you to do this. You must be behind on your schoolwork. You already missed basketball. I wouldn't want another punishment for you. Then you might have... a girl... you're trying to be with. I don't know why a part of me hopes not," she stopped, her eyes slightly widening. "Not that it's any of my business, unless of course you wanted to make it mine, um, goodness."