Chapter 32 - Inevitable Feeling

Ash was barely into the movie, he had been playing with his basketball the whole time. They were both having another one of their movie nights—a romantic comedy again. He'd be lying if he said he didn't love these nights, but it was only to hear Serena talk about her favorite scenes or random notions about her and the film in general. He loved hearing her talk, even if it was nonsensical to him. Of course, he replied, giving his own opinions and insight—barely.

"Why couldn't this lady just tell her lover she wanted to get married? This was all pointless."

"Are you complaining again?"

"No," Ash clipped, his eyes on his basketball that came down to himself after he gently threw it in the air, practicing his form. "Never."

"You are and besides, you can pick a movie for next time, you know?" Serena said, going back to her investment in the film that lit up her laptop screen.

It was alarmingly strange for them to be this attached to each other. They were together most of the time and spoke the same. They called at night and Serena had a thing for being with him during their free time at school. Sometimes their talks were about him and basketball, just opening up. She loved it even if she wasn't all that familiar with the sport—Ash loved that she tried.

"Are you watching the movie or are you acting out Lion over there?"

Ash frowned, but a light laugh fell from his lips at her inaccuracy. "Leon? And... I am paying attention."

"No, you're not," she chastised, "but it's fine. You just owe me."

"I owe you for not watching a movie?" Ash questioned, the doting smile still carved on his lips.

"Yes. You said you would do this with me and you're not following through." She went on scolding him, but he could hear the fondness in her tone.

"Technically, I didn't agree to this."

"Well, you..." Serena stopped, dragging on the last of her word as if she was trying to think of an excuse.

To not embarrass her further with her fumbling, he decided to come to an agreement. "Fine. I'll owe you."

"And I'll owe you for not watching any of the movies you wanted to watch yet."

"Really?" He held his basketball, the spark in him too great to continue doing anything, but listen to her, his grin aching with how much it had stretched. "More of the drawing game lessons then?"

"I don't know about that, but..." She bit her lower lip, teasing him—unintentionally—sort of. She wanted to roll her eyes, but instead took a screenshot of how he looked on the phone.

Ash's nose scrunched up. "Did you just take a screenshot?"

"I did." The second Serena smiled, he did the same, feeling satisfied at himself, and by her reaction. "God, I hate you so much."

His laugh was deep, his voice laced with tease. "I highly doubt that."

She hated that he was right.

"How about another flower lecture?" It slipped out of Ash. His mind circulating with the awe-inspiring remembrance of that day. Her passion and blazing happiness. The colors, the beauty and everything that surrounded her... and him. He wanted that feeling again. He noticed how quiet she had gotten, and then he realized he might have gone too far.

"Except that," she whispered, her voice had lost its flirtiness and confidence and seemed to dither.

"Serena, about what happened at the flower shop—"