Chapter 12 - Farther Than Closer

Serena didn't want to see him.

Hell, if it had been up to her, she would've canceled the lessons altogether, but Professor Oak had trusted her with this task. Eventually she wanted to be a real teacher, not just some tutor for an ungrateful little...

No.

She had to try and stay calm. Though she had a feeling the moment she saw his face, she would yell at him. She'd spent the majority of her weekend trying to forget that night, but his words kept replaying in her head over and over again.

I don't like her or dancing. I just need to get her lessons over with. I don't want to deal with this mess or her again.

Was she really that bad? Was she really so stupid for thinking he was starting to enjoy dancing with her? He had called her his partner, and yet, he apparently doesn't want to deal with this or her again? He wasn't a dancer and didn't want to be. She felt like such an idiot to actually fall for it. Knowing Ash, he probably wouldn't notice her feelings at all.

There was a knock on the door, causing Serena to jump. Ash never knocked?

"Come in?" She said questionably, thrown off by the sharp sound. However, she was even more surprised to realize it was Professor Oak who had stepped into the studio. It was only a couple lessons that have passed. She assumed he only wanted to observe. "Oh, professor! Welcome."

"Ah, Serena," he greeted. "How are you? I want to thank you for taking on this task."

"I'm doing fine," she said like she was programmed to, lying through her teeth. "It's not a problem at all. It's... good practice." She turned to pick up her dance shoes, placing them on her feet. She wished she could still say it was good practice. Now it felt like a burden.

Professor Oak turned his head slowly to glance at the clock hanging above the door. "Should Ash be here soon? You mentioned in your report that his attendance arrivals have improved."

Of course.

"Yes, sir. I've been getting onto him. Few slip ups here and there, but overall, he's good." Mentally kicking herself, she wondered why the hell she even thought to defend him. He didn't care about her, nor her lessons.

"Splendid," Professor Oak nodded and leaned against the side wall. "I will be observing today, if that's fine with you. I do intend to see how things are progressing."

"No problem at all."

Yes it is a problem.

She sighed, pursing her lips. Professor Oak chose the worst possible days. If he had come last week, things would've been different. She would've confidently said to him that Ash was learning and he was doing a good job, but now, that clear wasn't the case.

"I'm here, teach!" The door slammed open and Ash who cursed the door for being so light, made his usual entrance. "Didn't mean that." He walked into the room and immediately kicked his shoes off, putting them against the wall.

"Ash, my boy, it looks like you're still as loud and energetic as ever." Professor Oak's calm eyes watched the raven haired boy walk into the room. "But you're on time. That's good."

The surprised look was noticeable on Ash's face. There was something so satisfying about the shocked expression that crawled onto his features. Serena was pleased she didn't go out her way to warn him ahead of time.

"Professor Oak?"

"I'm here to observe your progress."

"Okay, I'm doing great," he stated simply, obviously not looking towards anything that could get me in trouble again.