Chapter 52 - Healing & Improvement

I'd been awhile since I've updated. It's mainly due to writer's block and having to deal with other things outside of this. Very sorry to keep you all waiting. Here's a few more chapters that I hope can make up for that. Enjoy!

-

"Does it hurt anywhere? Be honest."

Nurse Joy's voice was stern and she leaned towards Ash as he swung his leg back and forth, rolling his ankle around. Laughing, Serena was quick to cover her mouth, not wanting Ash to think she was making fun of him. Although, she could seriously see him lying about his injury.

Ash scoffed as he folded his arms over his chest. "I'm fine. I wouldn't lie about it."

"That's wonderful to hear." Nurse Joy nodded happily, her pink hair tied in a ponytail, bouncing in motion. "I take it your girlfriend must have taken good care of you."

"She's—" Ash stopped himself and although they hadn't officially said it or confirmed it, Serena still eyed him skeptically the moment he opened his mouth.

Ignoring them, Nurse Joy continued on. "The swelling is completely gone, but if you feel pain when you use it, be sure to use the crutches again."

Ash pushed himself off of the examining table, feet landing. It felt off, but it was manageable. "Understood. Can we go now?"

"Yes, you're all set."

Nurse Joy actually seemed relieved to be rid of Ash from her office. He grabbed his bag and wrapped his hand around Serena's, walking her out of the room with him.

"That's amazing, Ash." Serena said with a bounce in her step. There was a smile on her face. "You're able to get back to your practices."

He grinned, looking down at her at his side. "I'm sure you're thrilled about this."

Serena giggled and sidled up to his side as she rubbed her shoulder against his arm. "I've missed you."

Ash raised an eyebrow. "You've seen me plenty."

"I meant I've missed dancing with you." Serena reiterated before glancing down at his foot. He was still babying it a little, not pressing his heel down all the way. She looked back up, studying his face. "Does it still hurt?"

Ash clicked his tongue, turning his head away from her. "Nah, I just hate walking on this when I haven't for a damn week. It's uncomfortable."

"Try walking normal. I want to make sure you're okay." She made sure to make him know she wasn't playing around about this injury of his. "I'm not letting you practice unless we know."

"You just said you've missed me!" Ash whined, taking a step down on the foot with purpose. He huffed out a breath, pointing down at it. "Is this good enough for you?"

Serena rolled her eyes at his dramatic ways. "Of course I missed you, but having an injury is a serious thing for any athlete. I know how much you love basketball. You would miss it if you couldn't play on the court again."

"Right," he grumbled, walking forward as normally as he could. "I'd miss dancing with you too."

She bit her lower lip, a hint of red on her cheeks. "I know you would."

The two had been practically inseparable since the night before and Ash was walking Serena back to her dorm. She almost didn't want to go, but she had promised Dawn and May they would spend some time studying together for their upcoming exams.

Ash stopped outside of her dorm, but didn't stop holding her hand. "I'll see you for practice," he said softly, letting their hands swing back and forth gently.