Chapter 50 - The Decision

"Are you sure you don't want to go? You know I could walk you down there and—"

"Gary, for the love of all my will power to throw anything within arms length at your head..." Ash began, clacking away on his laptop. He had a paper to write and the last thing he wanted to do was think about Serena and the invitational dance practice or whatever they called it. "Please give it a rest."

"Isn't it a mini-competition? You could watch her—"

"What?" Ash said, shaking his head. "Dance with someone else? No way, man."

"I thought she was going to do a solo dance?" Gary continued speaking and Ash wanted to punch his lights out.

"Who knows," Ash replied simply. "They can dance with whoever they want during that thing."

"Oh," Gary muttered. "Look, Ashy-boy, if you change your mind, let me know."

Ash grunted, knowing he wouldn't change his mind about this.

What would he even do? Watch as some other guy touch his not-girlfriend because she wasn't his? Not that he had any say in the matter for what she chooses to do even if she was his girlfriend. Who knows what kind of dance they were doing. He hated it the thought. He wished he just hadn't known about the practice. This was definitely the time he ever went to dinner with those guys.

Ash pursed his lips and tried to focus on the screen in front of him. He needed to finish this essay, not thinking about dance.

He couldn't help but wonder about what she was doing. The music began to play in his head and he thought about all the ways he ever touched her. The way her body moved closer to his and almost touching. Was she dancing with someone else? Were they touching her? Sliding their hands up her thigh the way he had down so many times? Or maybe they were staring into her ocean blue eyes, loving the way her hips moved around, or the way she moved so light on her feet.

Fuck. What was he doing?

He couldn't dance, sure, but he should be there. What if some guy from Kalos Academy tried to make a move on her?

With a irritated grunt, he slammed his laptop shut and Gary jumped from behind him. "Jesus, are you okay?"

"I'm heading out," Ash told him, hobbling out of bed to grab his crutches.

"What? Where are you going?" Gary said, immediately jumping up from his desk to throw his shoes on.

"It doesn't matter. I don't need any help." Ash slightly assured him. "I just need to get there."

It was already late. She hadn't sent him any of her messages or dropped any emojis to let him know it went well. He really was an idiot.

Serena was his girl. Except she wasn't. She wasn't at all. Why did he make the promise to not actually ask her out until after their dance competition? If some other guy came along and was amazing, sweeping her off her feet, she had every right to go off with him.

Not that anyone was better than him and he would prove that to her if he had to. In front of anyone who asked.

Ash leaned down to pick up his jacket and crutches, shoving them under his arms, yanking the door open as he left Gary behind. He didn't need help. He was going to prove he could easily do this on his own.

He puffed out his cheeks and went as fast as his damn crutches could take him. He wished he didn't have this injury. Maybe then he would've actually been able to dance with her tonight. He could've been her partner and they would've lost to Drew and May. It would've sucked, but at least it would've been him and not some other dude.