Chapter 22 - Final Lesson

Serena's heart was beating faster than usual, but she figured it was normal due to her situation. Today was her and Ash Ketchum's final lesson; she rolled her eyes at the full use of his name.

She tapped her fingers against the top of the piano, rising up and down on her toes. Ash seemed to appreciate honesty, so there was a possibility if she was upfront and clear with him, he would be more receptive to how she felt. She intended on being as blunt as she could be.

She had absolutely no idea what his response would be, but she knew he was looking forward to returning to basketball. He could still dance with her in the process, but the question is if he wanted to. Time on weekends wasn't good for the both of them or if he came by after his practices. It seemed like she was running through all the possible excuses he could have, and all the possible rebuttals she could give.

The door behind her opened, causing her to turn in that direction.

"Someone came earlier than usual—" Her comment was dropped when she fully saw Professor Oak walk in the room with a smile that showed his wrinkles. She should've known he would come again. It was the last session, after all. He was here to see the progress they made. He was supposed to clear Ash, allowing him to return to his team. "Oh, good evening, Professor Oak."

"Ah, Serena, good evening to you as well," he said, his eyes wandering around the studio. "My apologies. Did I scare you?"

"Not at all, professor. I had forgotten today was the last lesson," she emphasized the lie, moving her hands behind her back. "I'm glad to see you'll be joining us."

He nodded and hummed, chuckling. "What do you think? Should I allow Ash to play basketball again?"

She surprised herself by being quick to almost say yes, but she stopped as her thoughts came. If she said no, that mean Ash would have to stay with her, wouldn't it? She wasn't a selfish person; she couldn't do that to him. She knew how much he missed his sport, even if he didn't come out and say it. If she lied to Professor Oak and he found out, that would be unforgiving, solely for keeping him from the sport he was so desperate to get back to. She knows if someone kept her from dance, she would be devastated.

Dance was what kept her mind at ease. It was a breath of fresh air, a chance to escape reality for a while in her own bubble. What Ash felt about basketball was his own sense of comfort. They relate in a way.

"He's been doing really well, actually. He focuses a lot and once he gets into things, he's not bad at it. He's definitely something." She laughed to herself with Professor Oak studying her; the way her brows were lowered from processing to dawning admiration and realization.

Ash wasn't terrible at all. It was mainly why she had wanted him to stay, among a few other reasons a little difficult for her to admit.

"Wonderful. That's what I wanted to hear," Professor Oak said. He folded his arms and took his spot, leaning back against the wall. "I do look forward to seeing how this goes."

The door swung open and Ash walked into the room, making his presence known as per usual. He dropped his bag to the floor, leaning down he removed his shoes. He placed them next to the bag and Serena was impressed by how much he improved compared to how he used to be.

"Ah, good evening, my boy. Great timing," Professor Oak said, nodding. "I'm looking forward to seeing your last lesson."

Ash glanced at the professor, seemingly surprised by his attendance. Serena didn't know why, however. Professor Oak came to watch other lessons and this was the last one.

"I'll be excited when you tell me I can get back on the court again, professor," he said, making his way to the middle of the floor. His hands were shoved in his joggers' pockets.