Chapter 38 - Ballroom Tension

Ash sat in an armchair, overlooking the entire living room from the corner. He was waiting for Serena to appear from the guest house, eyeing his watch every few seconds. It had been awhile since she started to get ready, because her mother wanted them to try on the outfits she got them. Ash could never stand in place for a long period of time with how he was feeling, and already getting quite impatient. He was dressed with his black suit and tie, a white dress shirt and black dress shoes.

No, he didn't expect to wear this kind of outfit today, but what the hell. They're definitely not his forte no matter how many times he has to do this.

Grace walked in dressed oddly fashionable and immediately went to the kitchen pouring herself a drink. She smiled at him and he felt it was best to just wave out a greeting.

"Would you like some, Ash?" She asked, seeming to feel Ash's eyes on her.

He eyed Grace drinking and shook his head. "No, thank you. Not at the moment," He replied, followed by a thin smile. He should've accepted it, at least it could cool his nerves, but he kept his mouth shut.

Grace brushed his thumb around the rim of the glass while she walked to the armchair on the other side of Ash. "No need to be so formal with me," she said with a slight chuckle. She sat and relaxed back with a languid sigh, placing his leg on his knee. "I would rather you be comfortable than tense looking. You're welcome here anytime." She swirled her drink around, staring at the liquid casually.

"Serena always tells me to not be so tense when we dance together." Ash smiles a bit, not knowing if he was speaking to her mother or himself. "Sorry. I guess I'm not used to meeting parents that much. This is a first."

"You've never been in a relationship?" She smirked, her lips coming around the edge of the glass to take a small sip as Ash shook his head. "I apologize if it does feel like I'm interrogating you."

Kind of feels like she is.

"It's fine, really."

Ash let a heavy silence fall over. It caused Grace to clarify her interest. "I just want to make sure my daughter is around people who will take care of her. I want to get to know you. I'm not in her life the way I'm supposed to be. I'm sure you understand my point of view." She motioned towards Ash with her glass.

"I understand," he agreed. Taking a mighty breath, he too relaxed back in his seat and answered his prying question. "Relationships have never been my main focus besides basketball."

Grace nodded slowly with eased acceptance. "You and Serena are a lot alike, yet different, I see. She... closed herself off from that kind of feeling and focused on dancing." She took another sip of her drink, closing her eyes as the liquid made its way down her throat

Ash remembered Clemont's words to him. "Not the first I've heard about this."

Grace was surprised, but hummed, turning away. The woman was hard to get a read on. Maybe she had to be messing with him in some way. It was like her mood could change from acceptance to rejection of who Serena decides to be around in a matter of minutes.

Grace cleared her throat. "So, tell me this... What do you think about my daughter," she inquired before chugging down the rest of her drink.

The quick change in subject worriedly caught him off guard. Ash didn't know if he was being tested by the Gods and goddesses or the devil's wife herself, but she was dressed to the nines, sitting across from him and holding an empty glass with a cunning eye.

"She's a sweet girl," he answered honestly.

"And is that all?" Grace slowly smirked egotistically like she knew exactly it wasn't.