Chapter 39 - Drunken Intimacy

After they danced for a while, Serena had drunk a cool glass to keep her throat from getting dry. Well, she thought it was supposed to be something sweet, but turns out, it was her mother's cup of champagne, and she didn't last the night of not getting drunk. She became more touchy, taking it as the alcohol had lowered her inhibitions so much that her brain was high on dopamine.

Serena dragged her feet on the front porch as her drunken giggles filtered through the open air. Ash stood by her side, his arm hooked around hers, so she wouldn't fall face first onto the ground. He learned that she was definitely light weight and he would never let another cup of alcohol within arms length of her reach.

They arrived at the guest house; her mother was already in the main house, sleeping off the day.

The night was dark save for the automatic porch light glaring down on them. Ash was able to get the door open and let Serena's arm go for him to walk in first. He turned to her, waiting for her to step over the threshold. She was leaning the side of her head on the door's frame, smiling at him like she had a secret. Her hand was extended to wait patiently for him to guide her in.

Ash let out a deep sigh, taking her outstretched hand and pulled her to him. She laughed at his controlled manner when she stumbled in. Her foot hit the threshold tripping her and she let out a short yelp, but before she could hit the surface, Ash hurried to catch her fall, his arms wrapped around her waist.

Serena's chest met his and he grunted as a breath of air escaped her. "So strong too," she hiccuped, looking up at his chin under her lidded eyes.

Ash let out a long and exasperated sigh, adjusting her so she could stand on her two feet. "Too?"

"Yes, remember when I said you were serious?" She said, poking his cheek and his grin widening at her friskiness. He needed to record this. "But also funny, intriguing, so smart, and pretty." Ash grimaced at the last compliment. "And talented... with your hands..." Breathing out, her voice toned down, "On the court, of course."

Serena didn't know where this bold and flirty side came from, but she was actually enjoying it. Besides, she was drunk and had a nice night. He was right earlier, there was something going on between them on both of their parts. Why not fall into the deep end of this... whatever this was?

The memory of him eliciting pleasure when she sat on his lap and his words as they danced flickered across her mind. There was a voice in her brain that came to her like a siren going berserk. It was trying to remind her of something, but she had no idea what it was raving about.

Peals of laughter slightly bursted from within him. Ash shook his head at her. "I think it's time for bed, Serena."

He went to close the front door, locking it back up. When he was done he turned and she was suddenly chest to chest with him. He was so startled that he swore under his breath at her stealthiness.

"I think so too," she said in a fuddled tone, grabbing onto his tie to loosen the knot from around his neck with unsteady fingers. Hesitantly, he helped her take it off. "Sleep with me... Not like that, clearly,"

Ash gaped at her, not sure to be amused or baffled by the suggestions she kept throwing at him. "I'm going to the couch. You're going through that door." He pointed down the hall and towards the bedroom. "And sleep in the bed... by yourself. I'll see you in the morning." He told her; stone-faced and direct.

He was going to turn away, but abruptly she grabbed onto his hand.

Her excuse: it was the champagne and that's going to be her excuse for everything that she says or does tonight.