Chapter 27 - Closer Than Strangers

Outside was a cold and rainy night. Rain was heard from the inside, while Serena was surrounded by her dark room, the only light was the reflection of her laptop screen. She wore her night time pajamas as she sat cross-legged on her light pink and white bed sheets, cell phone in the other hand.

"Can't we watch a horror movie or action? Something less—"

"Feminine?" She interrupted.

"I was going to say romantic, but that too, I guess."

Starting this Friday night, Ash and Serena would watch a movie together, but over the phone because going to each other's dorms—that was only minutes away as a walk—was too complicated. It was all Serena's request, including the idea of movie night. Last week, he told her he never saw the movie she requested for them to watch—which she was severely offended by.

"Well, the answer is no. I like rom-coms. Besides, my friend, Dawn, is the one who loves horror movies. Next time, you should give her a call instead," she cooly informed him.

It was quiet on the other end, as she expected. For a second, that is, once it turned into a chuckle. "I'm sure that boyfriend of hers wouldn't enjoy that. You're setting me up to get murdered by Paul."

She found herself smiling. "Not at all. I can't have my partner dying on me, now can I?"

She heard him suck in a breath, then he breathed out as he took in the words—her partner. He liked the sound of that.

"We couldn't allow that." His voice was low, addictive. "I wouldn't want to get replaced that fast. I don't think... I could bear that."

Serena didn't reply, but instead, bit her lip at his tone. It was questioning. She didn't want to push it and realizing, she knew he wouldn't going to say anything about it, she decided to move on.

"This film is a classic. Who doesn't love a princess running away, falling in love with a Kantoian reporter while touring Kalos?"

"I'm surprised you weren't going to make me watch 'Let Us Be Free.'"

"Oh, that would have been perfect. James Rubin is quite enchanting. We're watching that next time."

"Yes, we will- Wait, hold on. There will be a next time?" Ash was let out a muffled grunt, a hand going to his hair. He was close to pulling each strand out. "Also, James Rubin was one hell of an age when he filmed. He's a bit too old for you, don't you think?"

"How did you know that small fact?"

"I just know."

He wasn't going to tell her that he had seen a lot of James Rubin films because his own mother was in love with him too. He simply refused.

"Well, maybe I could have a thing for guys older than me," Serena suggested, a bold smirk crawling on her face. "Coincidence that you're older too."

Ash paused before going on. "I'm twenty."

"And we're the same age," she noticed with amusement. "When's your birthday?"

"May twenty-second."

"Mine is October seventeen," Serena replied with a smile. "You're up by a few months. But still older."

"You have a thing for me?" Ash's tone was smooth, but lighthearted.

They should really stop this flirty banter of theirs.

She shifted uncomfortably in her bed. "I have a thing for James Rubin." Lifting her chin, she clicked play on her computer. "Now, hurry up and start the movie."