Chapter 35 - Connection At Home

They arrived in the city that Vaniville Town was in after waking up earlier that morning. The sun was bright and the day was to be a pleasant one.

It was hours before Ash came back from wherever he was last night after he tried to kiss her. She didn't go and look for him, instead she waited. Serena laid down in the car, not able to sleep a wink until she heard his footsteps. He came in to lay beside her and though, she didn't know if he fell asleep or not; his presence was enough for her to.

Time passed and they were back in the car driving through towns. Serena leaned her arm on the passenger's door, staring out the window. She observed the lively people walking through the streets. She was nervous to see her mother and wanted to prolong their meeting as much as possible.

Ash darted his eyes towards her before looking back on the road. Intaking a long breath, he continued to drive with his hand. He had been a little standoffish after what happened last night, but slowly he seemed to let it go—which in Serena's case was a good thing.

Whatever these feelings were between them, it mounted into something way more than she anticipated and it frightened her.

After quite the drive, they were able to get out and walk down the long sidewalk that led to the front door of her mother's house, a modern home. There was a healthy looking horse in the yard with wild plants all around that Ash couldn't decipher. Even from the outside, it looked simple for someone who lived alone, had no worries or stress, but only the feeling of living.

"Okay, everything's going to be fine. I don't know why I'm so nervous. I should not be this nervous."

Serena had been feeling anxious for awhile, her nerves were taking over and had no intentions of seizing. Ash didn't know what to do, but told her multiple times everything was going to be alright.

"Don't be. You'll be fine, Serena."

"You know what, we should stop somewhere else before we go inside." Serena pivoted and stepped in the direction of the car.

Ash stilled and reached for her hand, drawing her back to him. "We're already at the door. We can't go back now." He slowly walked towards the door while she dragged her feet.

"You're right— Wait." Letting go of his hand, her eyes widened and Ash's arm swung lazily when she froze in her steps. "I forgot the flowers!"

Ash gripped her arm this time. "You don't need flowers," he said, pulling her forward. They were right in front of the door and before she could protest, he knocked. He turned her to face him, the hand he had on her arm moved up to cup her cheek. Serena slowed her breathing at the touch and her eyes raked over his face. "Everything will be fine. You're strong. Strongest person I've met if you didn't realize. You have no reason to be nervous."

She couldn't look away from his genuine eyes. Her feet were magnetized on the ground. "I'm not that strong," she mumbled with lack of confidence. There was something in his look when she said that, as though he knew something she didn't know about herself. It would help tremendously at the current moment, if she could see what he saw.

The swipe of his thumb on the apple of her cheek caused heat to stir within her. He's getting really good at this whole comforting a friend thing. "Ash—"

The door opened abruptly and Serena flinched out of Ash's hold. He quickly put his hand down, standing in that cool and confident way that she wished she could steal from him. Putting on an assured smile, he looked directly at her mother who eyed her daughter with a soft, welcoming smile. He could see the clear resemblance between her and Serena.

"You made it safely, dear! I'm glad," Grace proclaimed. She didn't notice Ash yet as he let them have their moment. Serena was a little shaken by what just occurred between her and Ash that her mind forgot she was nervous on seeing her mother.