Chapter 6 - Progress

"Hey, Clemont! So sorry I missed your call. My phone was in my bag," Serena apologized, her voice going through the other side of the line. As per usual, she was currently waiting on her student for the lessons.

"No worries! How are things?"

"Well, Ash hasn't made it yet to the studio, so I've been going through my own routine as I wait," she told him, leaning against the wall.

She could hear the sigh from Clemont at that. "As a friend of his, my assumption would be he's sleeping, but I surely hope I'm wrong."

Serena laughs, running a hand through her honey-blonde waves. "Say, how did your tutoring session go the other day with him?"

"I decided to make it a 'study hall' for him, although I think there wasn't much work done. Then, right when he managed to get on with it, the substitute lady kicked us out for Ash eating," Clemont explained, sourly.

"Seriously?" Her eyebrows narrow as she purses her lips. "You have to get onto him at times, but I suppose first days aren't always the best. You still have one day left for this week."

Clemont hums in agreement. "That is true."

"Anything else happen?"

There was a short amount silence on the other end until it passed by. "I just suggested for him to put more effort into your lessons and try to get a nice feel for it. I know how much being a great teacher is to you."

"Clemont..." Serena began, her voice toned down to a warning. "I appreciate that very much, but someone can't change another person's mindset on an activity or how they feel about it. Him being told to do this as it is isn't doing well on that end either. If anything, it must feel like an everyday chore for him. I just plan on getting him to learn something, is all. Nothing more."

"I hear you." She heard her friend chuckle, one that understood completely. Serena was someone who liked to do things on her own. "You do make quite a good point, of course."

Before Serena could reply, she heard the doors to the studio open. From the corner of her eye, she couldn't mistake that crazy mess of black hair and greeting with a voice loud enough for everyone around the area to hear.

"I take that as your student finally making his appearance," Clemont points out.

Serena rolls her eyes, a hand going to her hip. "It's about time. I'll talk to you later, yeah?"

The call ended, her heart pounding in her ears. She stared him down in the dance studio, his brow quirked. Once again, he'd made quite the entrance which included the door slamming open— possibly unintentional due to it being a light one, and tossing his shoes on the floor.

"Hey, teach," Ash said brightly, walking over towards Serena. "Lets get this over with already."

"You were almost late," she began, narrowing her eyes slightly. "And I would appreciate if you could treat the studio with more respect. Next week, take your shoes off slowly, and put them neatly against the wall."

He raised his brow. "Keyword, almost. I refuse to come here on an empty stomach." Ash looked back at his shoes that were a bit muddy, one faced up, the other on its side, and both a good feet or two away from each other. He placed his attention back on Serena and sighed. "Alright, alright. Will do."

Clearing her throat, she folded her arms. She didn't want these mistakes to stop her from teaching him what she was supposed to. He was just being a boy— an idiot one at that, the same age as her, a student just like her. Honestly, if she thought of it that way, they weren't all that different. Okay, they were very different, but it was easier to think they had more things in common than she initially thought.