Chapter 25 - Lost Chance

The group was meeting for their normal Saturday morning breakfast, though Clemont was gone for the weekend because of a science decathlon. Gary replaced the guy for the time being with Misty, whereas Dawn was out spending time with Paul.

"I hate him so much," Serena scoffed, resting her chin resting in the palm of her hand, her elbow close to the edge of the table. God, she never whined this much, especially over a boy.

"I find that quite hard to believe," Misty hummed, leaning against Gary. Throughout all the drama, somehow the two of them were growing much closer, and Serena cursed herself for clearly falling for the wrong roommate of the two.

"What do you mean 'quite hard to believe'?" Serena exhaled heavily through her nose and whipped to look at her. "Ash came to apologize to me yesterday, so he could stop thinking about me. How am I supposed to feel about that?"

Gary cracked an exceedingly tremulous smile. "That does sound like Ashy-boy. He's an idiot. The guy's my best friend, but he's not so bright when it comes to feelings. I'm sorry you're dealing with him, Serena."

"Thank you, but I'm not dealing with him anymore," irritation bled through her words, "I already told him to leave me alone."

May slowly tilted her head, hinted with a playful smile, and startling enough, she got a despairing one out of Serena. "Do you really think that's going to be the end of it?"

She glanced between the couples, sighing. "Yes?"

May eyed Serena in unbelievable doubt and she put her mind at rest. "I guess the better question is if you want it to be the end of it."

"Of course I do." Serena shifted under her analytical gaze. "Why wouldn't I?"

"I don't blame Serena," Drew scoffed, shrugging it off like he could applaud her for that. However, everyone knew his opinion was a little biased.

May smacked Drew upside his head, getting him to hiss out in pain, and look at her bewilderment. He was about to ask her what had he done and say he wasn't wrong, but the look in her eyes silenced him. She smiled at Serena, side eyeing Drew. "She started to have feelings for him and those don't exactly go away in a few days."

She glanced at her friends and Serena, preoccupied with the possibilities, dissipated into sadness. "So I assume you still want me to be with Ash even after everything?"

"Not exactly," May breathed out and gave her a genuine smile for comfort. "I just... don't want you to get hurt again if he comes back and tries to get with you. It's feasible that he will."

"Not so sure about that one." Gary rubbed at his forehead, warding off an increasing headache because of his idiotic friend. He flicked his hand up, truth on his tongue. "Ash is insanely stubborn. If she really told him off, he might take that seriously."

Serena felt her heart sink. She knew she shouldn't care anymore. After how he treated her, she wanted— needed to let him go. He wasn't going to care about her regardless.

"I told you he's an idiot, but he likes you a lot, Serena." Gary lifted a hand to scratch the back of his head in thought. "I just can't figure out why he's fighting it."

She didn't like how her cheeks were quick to redden. Flashes of mixed emotions flared in her light blues, pinning her right where she sat. "What are you talking about?"

"He does have a crush on you. Ash doesn't go and watch dance performances, knowing he could be training instead. He doesn't do things unless he wants to and he sure as hell wouldn't have kissed you for shits and giggles." Blue eyes stared at Gary while he talked without blinking once. "I kept trying to tell him he could dance and be with you while playing basketball, but he keeps denying it. He says it's not possible."