Chapter 14 - Paired Lesson

"I hope the reason on why they're here is worth hearing."

Ash had opened the door, immediately pointing to Drew and May. Serena sighed, pressing her fingers to her forehead. Sometimes he was absolutely insufferable.

Actually, most of the time.

"I told you this yesterday. I invited May and Drew to come and demonstrate various dances for us."

He dropped his bag to the floor and moved closer, anger or confusion hitting on his face — which of the two one couldn't comprehend. "Why do we need other people to demonstrate? You're my teacher. You demonstrate things for me all the time just fine."

Serena bit her lip because oddly enough, she sort of thought it was a compliment. She knew she didn't need other people there, but with how things had gone before, she originally hadn't been keen on being alone with him for a lesson. She thought Drew and May would be a good buffer.

Though he apologized to her, not much had changed about his demeanor. She wasn't sure what she expected to change exactly, but it was a little disappointing.

"We can leave," Drew said flatly.

"Goodness, Drew!" May hissed, nudging her shoulder against his.

"No. No one is leaving," Serena sighed. "Ash, it's good to observe others when they're talented. You can learn something from them. Don't you have basketball players you respect and admire too?"

He nodded slowly. As a kid, watching the greatest players on television, and being like them—better even, was a dream he could only dream. There's plenty players he wants to surpass in the league. It only took the amount of training he has gone through, a ball in hand, and a hoop on a court. Where he was at now, was only a quarter of where he wanted to be.

Where he wanted to see himself someday.

"I mean, sure I do."

"Exactly. Drew and May have won many competitions with their dancing. Their partnership is one of the best I've seen and they're by far the best partner dancers at our school. I think you could learn a lot from observing them."

"I see," Ash mumbled, shooting daggers at the pair.

She knew he was competitive and even though dance wasn't technically his focus, she had a feeling it would push him into action if she showed him two amazing dancers. He would strive to be better. She smirked, a little proud of her plan. Admittedly, Ash wasn't exactly difficult to figure out.

"I thought we could take a look at your end of the year project choreography and then maybe your routine for the upcoming competition?" Serena suggested. "Afterwards, I'd love for you to show us your take a on basic waltz."

"Of course!" May smiled and Serena was grateful to her friends for helping her with this. Of course, when she had showed up to dinner in tears, May offered almost immediately.

"Great!" Serena said, clasping her hands together. She could only hope Ash would pay attention, but even if he didn't, she, at the very least, would enjoy watching her two friends dance. She always did.

"You know, Ash," May began, leaning towards him. "Your amazing teacher helped us with the choreography for our end of the year project dance. She's great at knowing what's best for a dance."

Ash's gaze flicked towards her and Serena couldn't stop the blush rising to her cheeks. It was embarrassing, getting complimented by her friends, and in front of Ash who didn't know how to give a compliment to save his life sometimes.

"And have you seen her dance by herself? It's beyond graceful and she moves as if she's floating. She's incredible, honestly." Drew who listened to his girlfriend talk, smiled, and nodded in agreement at what was said.