Chapter 15 - Conflicted Feelings

Ash had opened the door the bathroom, walking inside the empty place to which he was grateful for.
If there was one thing he despises, it was being shown up, and hell, had he been exactly that.

What was that?

Serena explained so much during their dance and watching them, he internally admitted, he couldn't take his eyes off of them. They looked incredible. Even that green haired guy—Drew—if he remembered correctly, looked experienced too, as he was told.

If he was being honest, he didn't want to learn from them. He'd rather be taught by Serena; it was what he wanted after all. All these confusing emotions hit him and he wasn't ready to catch it. Part of him wanted to be close to her, wrap his hands around her waist, feel her hands molded in his, and the other wanted dance with her for as long as she would let him. The collision created a hole waiting for be filled.

What was wrong with him? He shouldn't care about the lessons, but ever since the night he apologized to Serena, something had felt off. The thought was so ridiculous that he wants to laugh—at himself for the most part.

Ash stood in front of the mirror and turned on the sink, listening and watching the water disappear. His reflection didn't surprise him, but even so, he looked like he didn't belong. With a sigh, he let the water pour into the palms of his hands before he quickly splashed it onto his face, hoping it would wash off the tension and whatever else he was feeling inside.

He turned the sink knob, walking over to grab some paper towels to dry his hands off. Crumbling the piece, his gaze made it to the trash can that was at a decent distance away. Robotically, like it was in his own blood, he lifted his arms and let his form take the wheel, feet never leaving the ground.

Swish.

A grin made it up on his lips like his shot. One thing Ash loved to do was shoot. Any chance he got, he'd take. He was a shooter and one thing about being one, was that they never stop no matter how many misses pass. He had to go back in there and they were going to show him up again. It didn't feel right to him. Sure, they may have years above them, but he was going to reach the top in no time.

Pulling the door open, he headed back inside. He noticed Serena looking at him with concern swirling through her blue eyes. Was she worried about him?

Her lips curl down, the gloss on them shining taking a shine in the bright studio light. "Are you okay, Ash?"

"Yeah," he nods, taking a seat at the front. "Never been better."

"You're being... awfully quieter than normal today," she tells him.

"What do you mean?" He stares at her for a moment too long. "I'm doing what you told me and watching those two perform."

Ash mumbles something underneath his breath that sounds like show offs and May her brown eyed glare cuts through like a sharp piece of wood.

"Well then," Serena holds up her hands, trying to cleanse the tension in the air, "we can dance in a minute. They're going to show us a waltz. Maybe by watching, you can pick up some extra tips."

She was so into this. She looked so happy her friends were helping her. He didn't want to tell her he was the type who learned better when he was actually doing things.

He folds his arms over his chest and clears his throat. "If you say so."

Serena started the music, the same music they were using, and Ash watched as Drew daintily put his hands on May's body. His hand curled around hers, he placed his hand on her back, and raised his elbow up. They began to glide across the floor, May's brown hair brushing the back of her neck. Drew led her and she flowed with him so naturally. It looked like they were an ocean wave rolling across the studio floor.