Chapter 30 - Deeper Meaning

It was after her first class of the day that Serena was a bit more happier than usual, making her way down the busy pathway to meet up with Ash at the architecture building. Halfway to the doors, her phone suddenly rang. Assuming it was Ash himself, she answered without thought.

"You know you're not getting out of this, Ash. You made a promise."

"Serena?"

Heart pounded at the motherly voice, her steps had slowed down. A random man hit her shoulder so hard, she almost lost her balance. "I'm sorry, miss," he said quickly, continuing the hurried walk to his destination. Rubbing her shoulder, she wasn't even in the right mindset to scold him for not watching where he was going.

"Mom?" She mumbled, surprise in her voice

"Hello, dear," Grace paused, as if she was going to give her a greeting, but when she didn't reply she carried on, teasingly. "Sorry to disappoint, but I'm definitely not a guy named Ash."

"No, no, it's fine. Do you need anything?"

"Just wanted to check up on my daughter." Serena could hear her humming on the other end, thinking of her next words. A tease coming after a chuckle. "Would you like to tell me who this... Ash is?"

"It's no one. It's nothing you think it is." Serena cringed at her sharp tone. Ash is actually someone—a friend—and she was quick to correct herself. "He's just a friend."

Grace sounded pleased, clearing her throat. "I called because I thought maybe you'd like to come visit for dinner. I'll be making your favorite." Serena's walk was slow and there was something keeping her from responding—probably the shock that her mother was inviting her to see her. She was usually busy. "Soon, some time this month. There are a few races I have to go through before that."

There is it.

Finally, Serena's voice came back to her. "I'll think about it. I'll see what my calendar has planned for me this month."

"That's great, Serena. At least you'll think about it." Silence again. "I'll send you the dates. I'll see you then?"

"Yeah—yeah, of course."

Serena heard her mother's breath catch. "Goodbye, dear."

Something in her broke at his departure. Her mother calling her was unexpected. It would still surprise her every time she would pick up the phone and dial her number. It always seemed like the last thing he could do. It felt like horse riding was more important to her than her own daughter. Serena knows she may be thinking too deep about this, letting her emotions get the best of her, but that's what happens with these kinds of relationships. When you miss your parent.

Her mother would give the occasional call, and she was loyal to her always. As time grew, she realized she wanted more than those rare phone chats. She was lucky to get one to two per month.

Sometimes, Serena shut her out, sometimes she would accept the words her mother gave to her on the days she'd give a call before her dance performances. Even so, there were times she was terrible to her mother—angry at her. Thinking that she was the reason they were drifting away from each other. Anger and grief burned through her; an excruciating pain she could barely contain.

The reminder of it made the corner of her eyes prick with tears and she shook herself from that dark memory, continuing her path to the doorways.

The architecture building had a modern day look to it. The windows were wide from wall to wall, the whole building was shaped like one of those abstract modern sculptures, rather than the old fashioned, antique look that some universities have. The view was of the busy city, you could see people walking and running below them like tiny ants they could crush with their feet.