Chapter 8 - Denial

Drew and May really were the dance department's golden duo. As first years, the two had found each other in a partner class, and had been inseparable ever since. They had a certain chemistry no other pairs in the department had been able to match. Drew's intense focus matched with May's amazing technique had made them the perfect pair.

When they had started dating, absolutely no one was surprised even though it had taken almost a year for either of them to come clean about their feelings. Now, their dances were filled with even more emotion and passion than before. Even if Drew often seemed like a cold rose of charm, with May, his flame ignited, and bloomed into something greater. Their dance flowed with an intensity Serena had never seen experienced in a couple.

And when it came to choreography, there was no better couple to create for.

However today, Serena was exhausted. Between her tiring lessons with Ash, and all her additional work and choreography she needed to get done, she hadn't been sleeping very much. To her, it was all worth it.

"Serena, if you're tired, we don't have to do this right now," May said, looking at her friend with concern.

"No, no," Serena dismissed, waving her hands frantically. "I want to see you and Drew's work. I know you've been planning this for awhile."

"Yes, but we don't want you to lose more sleep," Drew stated bluntly. He never was one to beat around the bush.

"It's okay you guys, really. I want you to show me."

May huffed as something came into mind. "It's all that rude boy's fault. You'd have plenty more time if you weren't having to deal with him."

"It's not bad. Seriously," Serena tried to say. "Both of you just met each other at the wrong time. He's a nice guy, I promise. But a load of work at times."

Both Drew and May raised their eyebrows skeptically.

"I swear! Don't worry. He was fine during the last lesson." She laughed, glancing down at the floor as she spoke about it, and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. "He was curious about my pointe shoes and surprisingly at the end of everything, he wanted for me to teach him a more challenging dance."

May hummed and leaned forward, looking into Serena's tired blue eyes. Something she never seen get this way. "You say all this, but you look exhausted."

She blushed, leaning away from her. "I am tired, but it's worth it. I like teaching even if he can be a difficult student. Maybe the most difficult I'll encounter." It could only go up from here, she suspected. If she could learn to deal with Ash now, she could deal with anyone.

"If you say so." May sighed, folding her arms over her chest.

"Don't overwork yourself, Serena," Drew joined in, flipping his hair in place.

"I promise I'm not. Like I said, the last lesson was... actually fun. Rough start, but he seemed more... interested." She smiled, her cheeks flushing.

"Hold on. Don't tell me..." May paused for a second, taking a good look at her friend. The one who always didn't find relationships worth it, face full on tinted with red. She gasped, leaning forward again with a wide grin. "Oh my goodness. You actually feel something for this guy, don't you?"

"Pardon?" Serena yelped, pressing her back against the wall. She waved her hands in front of her, face who knows how red. "Absolutely not! It's nothing like that!"

"Really?" May teased, pressing her finger to her own lips. "That's what they all say. Hell, I did at one point about Drew and here we are, and that was quite the reaction."