Chapter 10 - Distant Thoughts

Weekends were just about the best time for Ash now. Not that they hadn't been great before, but it was even better. He didn't have to think about his tutoring sessions and he didn't have to worry about his dance teacher. No, he could drink, relax, and even work out properly. Nothing was stopping him.

The day with Clemont went by fast. He, like always, left him alone to his work. Now, Ash was thanking every god he didn't believe in much that it was finally his day off.

"My guy! You ready? We're heading out, Ashy-boy," Gary cheered out, slamming his empty beer can into the trash. He slung his arm drunkenly around Ash's shoulders. "You've had a rough time with the last few weeks." Gary moved his hand in front of both of their faces, as though he was planning out the entire night with his palm. "Which means we gotta go out and enjoy your short-lived freedom!"

"Don't remind me of that, man," Ash growled, slipping out from under Gary's arm. He downed the rest of his beer and chucked the can into the trash, slamming it against the back, the bin rolling around with the momentum. Soon, he cracked one more beer open. He could easily drink it before they left. "The whole point of going out is to not worry about that stuff."

If that wasn't obvious enough, Ash wasn't one for school dances.

In fact, right now, dance was the last thing he wanted to think about, but after much convincing from Gary and a few beers later, Ash didn't care what the hell they did. As long as they got out of their dorm room.

Crushing the can down, he tossed it into the waste bin. "School dances are a waste of time. Mine, to be exact," he complained, folding his arms over his chest with another complaint ready to erupt.

"But it's better than hanging out with just me all night, right?" Gary teased, raising a tempting eyebrow. He could only hope to sleep tonight with one eye open. "C'mon, most of the team is going and we miss you! Brock just texted me. He's there already. Probably—"

"—finding more girls that could reject him. I already know." Gary's talking only made Ash ready to get out of the tiny room more. He grabbed his jacket and yanked the door open, stumbling into the hallway. Maybe he shouldn't have had that last beer.

"You can show off your new dance skills," Gary offered, zipping up his own jacket.

Ash stopped in his tracks, turning to glare at his roommate. "What did you just say?"

"I said you can show off your, y'know, new dance skills," Gary repeated himself slower. "Since you've been working hard. I hear you're getting better."

"Where the hell are you hearing stuff like this?"

Ash hadn't said a word to anyone about his dance lessons. More so, he purposefully hadn't. He had a reputation to uphold after all and dance wasn't going to ruin it. He was a basketball player, not some dancer. Even if he did find it a little challenging. Way harder than he expected. Pretty physically taxing as well. No, he didn't like dancing. The whole thing was insanely stupid and he just had to get through it for a few more weeks.

Gary thought for a moment. "I have a class with the girl who's teaching you. Serena? She was talking to her friend about you, saying you were getting better and actually putting effort in."

Ash blinked, trying to process it. Why was she going around telling people about their private lessons? So much for he thought beforehand. Next time he saw her, he intended on stepping up.

Not only that, but it was obvious he was trying. If he didn't, Serena would report him to Professor Oak and then he would take him off of the basketball team. If that played out, he'd lose his damn scholarship. He had no choice. It had nothing to do with enjoying the lessons or not wanting to see the disappointing look on her face. He couldn't stand it and he sure he was ready for these weeks to be over.