Chapter 18 - Only You

Serena really couldn't believe her eyes.

Then again, maybe it had been a trick? It was hard to see things from the stage sometimes and she already had shook the assumption from her head. She needed to focus on performing, not if she really had seen Ash in the audience.

She didn't know how he would know about this anyway. She never had the chance to invite him since he stormed out of the studio after his argument with Drew during their last lesson. Even so, she wasn't even sure if she wanted to tell him. This wasn't his scene.

So why was he possibly here?

When the last dancer finished, she made her way to one of the mirrors, checking her makeup. She looked more intense than normal wearing stage makeup, her cheeks rosy, and her eyelashes long and curled. She didn't know why she felt so nervous to go out there. Putting on her jacket and scarf, she grabbed her duffel bag and made her way outside. She was greeted by the smiling faces of Dawn, May, and Misty.

"Serena!" Dawn says, practically tackling her into a hug, laughing and clearly overjoyed. "Girl, you were amazing. No surprise actually."

Clemont and Drew all stood behind the girls, smiling at her as well. Serena always felt so loved around her friends. She really had the best support system.

May handed her flowers. "These are from all of us."

"I appreciate this, really." She smiled, taking the bouquet. "You didn't have to do this, it isn't a special performance or anything! My mom couldn't even make it."

Her mom was a famous horse rider. Something had popped up in between the dates of what she had to go to for an important race. That didn't stop her from giving her daughter a call full of her support and telling her what she had always told her since she was a little girl. Their signature words of motivation.

Go for broke.

"We wanted to." May smiled, a warm sight. "You work so hard and you deserve it! You looked incredible tonight."

Drew's words were accompanied by a smile. "A stunning performance."

"An excellent performance!" Clemont lifted his hand to his glasses, pushing them from being crooked, his attention going back to Serena when done. "One of my favorites!"

"I was speechless," Misty spoke up, nodding her head. She gently punched Serena's shoulder in a playful manner. "It was impossible to take our eyes off of you."

"I'm glad you enjoyed it." She blushed, looking at all of her friends—her gaze softening. She pressed her nose to some of the flowers. "These are really beautiful."

"Hey, I'm not sure if you want to see him, but..." May's eyes darted to looking around, awake and aware. She looked not so sure about something—Serena already knew the words before they came out. "Ash is here too."

"Is... he?" She felt her cheeks heat up. Swallowing, she glanced around. almost wishing she hadn't.

She didn't fail to see him, standing close to the wall, arms folded. The spikey, brown haired boy next to him seemed to be cheerily talking, but Ash didn't appear to be responding. She exhaled, watching him. May didn't seem to be joking that time and that was an insignificant price to pay compared to the real mortification Serena would feel if anyone else ever found out what she was feeling at the moment.

"Him and his roommate, Gary, are both here," Misty said, causing Serena's jaw to tense, her swallow being small and instantaneous, and even though a lot went on her in head, those words had priority over all others. "Hell, I was surprised."

"Indeed." Drew pointed to the light, and then looked at the entrance everyone comes through at. "I'm surprised he didn't make a ruckus and storm off to who knows where."