Chapter 34 - Not So Friendly Fire

They both now sat in front of a bar at a restaurant, ordering dinner and were now finishing their dessert. The place was right off the road towards the city. It was busy so they decided to take the bar since it had at least enough space to sit. The bar was of a golden yellow, the brightness from it radiating through them and exhibiting the day they just had. Serena was in a stool next to Ash, their shoulders brushing every now and then as they ate.

"Why does your hot fudge cake look better than my pumpkin pie?"

"Considering that you ate three fourth's of yours, I'm going to assume your pumpkin pie wasn't even bad." The corner of Ash's lip tugged up, looking from his almost empty plate to her half eaten cake. Serena tipped her head, pretending to think it over. "I think I should try some of yours."

Reluctantly, he pushed his plate towards her and she straightened with newfound interest, eyeing solidly on his pie. "One bite," he commanded with the point of his finger.

Serena rolled her eyes, pulling the plate towards her. "Greedy."

Ash chuckled and it was then that his phone rang from his pocket. Taking it out, he read the name plastered on the screen. "I'll be right back. It's my mom." He slid off the stool, walking to an empty space of the restaurant. There were less people and less noises around him that he answered. "Ma?"

"Ash Ketchum!" His mom, Delia, yelled through the phone, he had to pull it away from his ear. "I have called you all day!"

Exhaling, he relaxed against a pillar that was positioned next to him. "I've been busy."

"Doing what?"

"You do know I go to college?"

Delia made an oh sound by his reasoning, but continued forward. "Basketball, I assume? The gym? Sweetie, have you ever taken a break?"

"No, not today, and I have." Ash's shoulders tensed. "I am right now, ma."

"And you couldn't answer my calls?"

"I'm... with someone."

"Is it Gary? Tell him I said hello!"

Ash sighed. "I'm not with Gary."

He then heard her gasp through the phone while he already regretting saying anything. "Are you with a girl?" When he didn't respond, he could feel her excitement. "You're really growing up on me! What girl managed to get through you? I love her already! Though, I don't want to become a grandma so soon, sweetheart. Please use protection, if anything."

Ash gaped for the longest, a heated blush crawling onto his face. "That's not— She's a friend, ma. Just a friend. Can you tell me why you called?"

"Can't I check on my sweet boy? I need to see if you're still breathing. You do love to do extreme things and cause trouble at times." She paused for a moment, her tone becoming lighter—hopeful. "What do you and that girl have planned?"

"Why is it that everyone thinks I'm some ticking time bomb?" He questioned jokingly, but piqued by the inquiry. His eyes searched the restaurant thoughtfully. He spotted a large family together, enjoying a meal happily talking amongst each other. "She wanted to me to come with her to visit her mom."

"Isn't that lovely? You're meeting her mother!" It was quiet for a short while, he could hear her soft breathing. "What's her name?"

"Serena." Ash thought about her for a moment, an unknown smile on his lips. "She reminds me of you."

"That settles my heart. Knowing there's someone else who can keep you in check." Ash could hear the sincerity and expectancy in her voice. His mom was one of the best people in his life, always cared and worried for him. Always wanting more for him—regardless of the risks. "I do hope you let me meet her."