Chapter 13 - All It Takes

The cool air brushed against Ash's cheek as he stormed away from the dance studio. Gods, he missed basketball. He missed actually feeling stress relief when he finished practice. There was nothing quite as satisfying as being on the court— the best no less.

Dance was not a positive side.

And that girl, Serena. She seemed way worse than she usually is with me. She was acting weird the whole day and then yelled in his face. He wanted to know how she heard what he said at the dance? He wasn't going to admit to his friends he liked to...

No. He didn't like to dance. He couldn't care less, so why did he feel the smallest pang of guilt? Should he apologize to her? Do something for her to make up for his stupid ways?

Groaning, he buried his face against his jacket, shielding his nose from the crisp fall breeze. He only had to see her a few more times and then this whole ordeal would be over. It honestly hadn't been going terribly, but now she hates him. and he has his doubts that the last lessons would be pleasant.

At least Professor Oak had been there today as a buffer and he hadn't said he was doing a bad job. That was a plus because the last thing he needed was for these lessons to be extended.

He was starving, so he stopped at the student cafe on the way home, grabbing something small to eat. He was so annoyed at everything. Waiting in line for food made him want to punch the whoever was taking their precious time, especially when they took forever to explain their drink order. While walking back to his dorm room, he ignore some guy calling to him and waving. Somehow, he was not in the mood for a late night pastry.

The lessons were supposed to be relaxing in a way, but now all he felt was intense anger and frustration, though for once, it was more aimed at himself, as much as he hated to admit it.

Ash opened the door to his dorm room, letting it slam shut behind him. Gary jumped and turned around from where he was sitting at his desk, scrolling through his laptop.

"Ashy-boy, you're b-"

"Not in the mood, Gary."

"Damn, you haven't been in the mood for a hot minute," Gary said airily, throwing the words out. "These lessons really make you angrier, not happier."

"You're telling me," Ash scoffed, tossing his bag to the ground. He flopped on his bed.

"Do you really dislike being around that girl and doing those lessons that much?" Gary rested his elbows on his chair arm rest, cracking his fingers slowly with a smirk. "You seemed to be enjoying dancing with her at the dance. You've heard it plenty of times from me and anyone would agree. She's gorgeous."

"Not about to deal with this conversation again, man." Ash huffed out a breath, rolling his eyes. He folded his arms behind his head and Gary snorted at him when he closed his eyes. Sleep could get him to forget about all his problems.

"Never would I see the day where you look like a middle schooler, indignant about a childhood crush."

"I need to put an off button on you asap." Ash's eyes shot open, positioning himself into a comfier spot. "I don't have a crush, so get that out of your head. The thing is I tried to get us out of these last lessons and she flipped out on me seconds later."

Gary bit down on his lip and glanced away. "Maybe you're giving her mixed signals, man. You pulled her away to dance at the dance and knowing you, you're not half-assing these lessons. As much as you hate it, you never do anything without putting one-hundred and ten percent into it."

That was true. Ash intended to be the very best at the things he did, like no one ever was. He can admit he wasn't terrible at dancing, especially with her, or more so, after her.