Chapter 49 - The Invitational Practice

"Welcome ladies and gentlemen full of graceful talent! I'm very pleased to see each and every one of you here. "Monsieur announced, stretching his hands out.

Serena let her ballet shoes gently pat against the floor. She actually was very excited to participate in the invitational. She had completely forgotten about it until Drew brought it up the other night at dinner. She did invite Ash one more time, but she wasn't surprised he rejected it again, especially since he couldn't dance himself. The last thing he wanted to do was sit around and watch.

She could understand it to a degree. He was extreme about it, but she could recall many times watching Drew and May dance together, wondering what it felt to truly feel like having that connection despite being a solo dancer. Now she felt it in a sense.

"We've set up to practice with Kalos Academy, so feel free to pair off or work solo." Monsieur Pierre smiled, twirling his stick full of keys. "Once the practice is over, we'll perform for each other and have a friendly competition. This shall help break you out of your comfort zone."

Serena already decided she would be joining the solo dancers. As much as she didn't necessarily mind partnering, she didn't feel right doing so with someone who wasn't Ash, especially when they were so hard at work on their plans for the ballroom competition.

She pushed herself up and smiled at Drew and May. "Go for broke for me, will you?"

"Of course," May smile was a promise and she winked. "We wouldn't have it any other way."

"Like we would lose." Drew fixed his hair back and folded his arms over his chest. "You better do the same with the solo dancers. We need to show the academy that the university is the better side of Kalos."

Serena narrowed her eyes. "Are you sure it wasn't you who was more competitive with Hoenn University last year?"

Drew scoffed, "Positive."

"Ah, Serena!"

A voice cut through the crowd and she turned her head to see Calem Xavier making his way over to where they stood. He was a third year, a year older than her. He was well known in the ballroom circuit for his heavy footwork, yet incredibly skilled and sharp movement. It was said the ground vibrated when he danced. He was one of the academy's most well known dancers.

"Calem?" Serena greeted, waving a hand as he approached.

He smiled, his dark blue eyes looking at her with genuine interest. He looked sweet enough, but everyone was well aware of the intensity at which he danced and how dark his features could turn on dime.

"I hear you don't have a partner for today's exercise."

"That is true." Serena shrugged, not seeing particular bothered about it. "I plan on sticking to my solo choreography."

Calem offered his hand to her. "Why don't you partner with me then?"

Immediately, Serena frowned. Shauna was his usual partner, but having graduated the year before him, he also would've been without a partner when it came to school sanctioned events. In the professional world, Serena was certain the two still danced together.

Still, Calem Xavier wanted to partner with her?

"With you?" Serena questioned, gaping at him awkwardly. She glanced towards May who smiled wide and nodded.

"Isn't that what the invitational is all about?" Calem asked, tilting his head to the side, keeping his hand extended towards her.

"Yes it is," Serena responded.

If it had only been a month or two earlier, Serena definitely wouldn't have grabbed his hand. Solo dances have been what she went for, for the longest. But now that she had Ash and even though he was an amateur, she felt a connection with him. She could imagine how upset he would be if she went off and danced with someone else.