Wrench- Boat Battles

"This is ridiculous." Sitara says from beside me on the pier. The sun begins to set with the backdrop of the city making the perfect view for our battle.

"It's not, it's a well established battle where we can see who is the better inventor." I say, glancing at Wrench who's sitting on my other side, his legs dangle from the wood as a light breeze blows my hair.

"I think it's great that the children want to play." Marcus laughs, briefly looking up from his phone.

"Okay, it's time, the tide is the optimal height for our...boats?" I say, nudging Wrench as I turn around and grab my invention from my bag.

I pull out my little robot, designed like a whale with angel wings. A week ago me and Wrench were arguing about who was better at design, and now we're testing the theory by having a race with our inventions.

I see Wrench grab his own invention; a UFO with a little alien perched inside. He gives me a cool head raise and I shake my head.

"It's so on, my whale is gonna beat your alien so bad." I grin as Sitara and Marcus give each other a look as if to say 'What have we gotten ourselves into'.

"Yeah, well this dude is gonna shove that idea right up your blowhole." Wrench teases back, and I raise my eyebrows at his choice of words.

We both place our inventions in the water and grab our controllers.

"To the buoy and back." I say, and Wrench nods.

I nod at Marcus who begins a countdown from ten. I quickly press play on my phone and as planned 'Carry On Wayward Son' by Kansas plays as we begin.

My whale and Wrench's UFO whizz through the water faster than expected, despite the waves I manage to keep my whale straight and on course. Wrench however has a few issues with his UFO spinning out.

Sitara and Marcus cheer as I lean forward, edging my whale to go faster as Wrench slowly catches up to me.

"Fuck, come on!" He mumbles, bashing the buttons on his controller as I near the buoy.

"Up your blowhole!" I cheer, excited as my whale bounces along the water, jumping over a wave and flying through the air, lancing perfectly.

"Fuck this!" Wrench shouts just as my whale reaches the buoy, his hand suddenly grab my controller as his other hand pushes me into the water.

I fall with a splash, coming up straight away as Marcus and Sitara cover their mouths.

"You cheating motherfucker!" I shriek, grabbing Wrench's dangling leg and pulling him into the blue with me.

He shouts as he crashes, splashing me as I laugh.

"I so won that!" I argue with a grin. Wrench shakes his head as we swim to the shore.

"You're blind, I got there before you." He simply says as he goes to stand up on the sand, so I grab the back of his top and pull him in again laughing.

"Admit it, I'm the better inventor." I say as we sit on the sand to dry off, face to face.

"Alright, you're the better inventor," He mumbles, his face inches from mine, "But I'm the better coder." He adds.

I huff a laugh, "No way, I'm also just as good."

He leans back as if to question me and I shake my head, "Whatever."

We sit side by side, shoulders touching as night begins to fall and the city lights up.

A whale and a UFO float next to each other in the distance...