Chapter 20

"I had fun," Sadie commented, the four fast friends making their way toward the school's front doors, returned from their Grillby's adventure.

"You know what? Me too," Terrence commented.

Rian belched, which Sadie ignored, instead replying with; "We should do this again sometime."

"I think so too," Frisk nodded. Sadie and Rian seemed like genuinely nice people, and this felt like the get-together the four had needed to 'officially' become friends. Frisk was definitely looking forward to doing this again sometime.

"Alright, fifth period. You ready to do some square rooting?" Terrence asked Frisk with a grin as they entered the school, the bell ringing, warning them that they only had a few minutes to get to class.

"Honestly? Not really," Frisk replied. Despite the overall wellness going on at the moment, she felt uneasy for some reason. She couldn't quite put her finger on it.

"What's wrong? It can't have been Rian, I've heard you burp way louder," Terrence told her jokingly, trying to brighten her spirits. She giggled at that, but still felt a sense of dread. Finally, she looked over her shoulder out of some type of instinct, and locked eyes with a familiar student. Jason—and he was staring right back at her with his golden eyes. He held her gaze for only a moment, before ducking down into a gray Oldsmobile with heavily tinted windows.

Frisk stopped, frowning. Terrence pursed his lips as he stopped too, following her gaze to look at the car. "Seriously, are you okay?"

". . . Yeah, I'm fine," Frisk assured him. "Come on, let's head to class before Mr. Kay marks us late."

Terrence held up a hand, stopping her, "It takes us thirty seconds to get to class. We have plenty of time. Frisk, you can tell me if something's bothering you—seriously. You know that, right?"

Frisk looked down. She did know that, but she honestly couldn't explain why she felt so uneasy. Jason seemed like a nice boy who kept to himself. He hadn't done anything bad to her in the slightest, he'd even loaned her a pencil in World History class, but every time she caught a glimpse of those eerie golden eyes, she felt . . . intimidated.

"You know that new boy, Jason?" she asked.

"Uh . . . I may have seen him around like, once or twice, why? Is he giving you a hard time?"

"No. Not at all. He's just . . ." Frisk struggled to find the right words. "Weird, I guess. I dunno. I just . . . feel uneasy around him. Like . . . when I make eye-contact, it . . ." At that moment, she came to a sudden realization. It had been the exact same emotion she'd felt when meeting Asgore's boss, Mr. Obaseki. The man had seemingly struck her very SOUL with his gaze. It had only lasted for a moment, and there was no way that the two individuals were connected but for some reason . . . she just felt so unsure.

"Do you ever-" she turned to Terrence, but her phone suddenly ringing interrupted her. Annoyed, she pulled it out of her pocket to find the caller ID was "sans the skeleton."

Frisk looked back to Terrence, who gave a nod. She hit the answer button, raising the phone to her ear. "Hello?"

"hey," Sans' voice emerged from the other end. It sounded significantly more serious than usual, a voice Frisk heard very, very rarely. "there's, uh . . . been another attack."

"You're kidding. Who?" Frisk asked. There really was no way to get used to this kind of news.

". . . papyrus," Sans answered.

"I was interrupted before I could make the kill," Raptor only heard silence in return as he knelt before the dark individual shrouded in shadows, back toward him, standing on a platform overlooking the vast room, columns rising up on either side of the assassin. "It was our next target and our last target," he added.