Chapter 97

The sun was rising. Dark corners to skirt around were becoming less frequent, but the motorcycle gang or gangs seemed to have turned in. On a normal day, Voxis would usually be waking soon. It had been a bit surprising when she'd first moved down here. This place was so different from the usual places she'd been. The people here had stronger American accents opposed to the German accents she'd grown around. The city seemed to go to sleep and wake with the sun. It was a strangely magical place, only amplified by the presence of monsters.

The first one she'd seen had been a rabbit monster, a smaller one hopping along after her. Siblings? Parent and child? She didn't know. She hadn't really been concerned with it, instead unable to take her eyes off of them. They were so different . . . unique . . . she wanted to meet more. She wanted to see more of them. Sure, she'd watched plenty of Mettaton's shows, but meeting a monster in-person was more interesting and gratifying than through a screen.

She would never have realized that she'd be friends with one. That her best friend would date one. That she'd care so much for one that she'd just met that . . . it still stung to think about her. Sadie shook her head. Skeeter was such a cool chick. Somebody Sadie could see herself being close friends with for . . . well, forever. To meet such a bullshit end was . . .

She shook her head. Krashna would pay for it. He had to, right? Monsterkind couldn't just find their end here, right? Sadie knew more about their history now thanks to Frisk. Monsterkind had been struggling for as long as they'd been around. They deserved a break.

They'd win in the end . . . right?

She hoped so.

The hospital was in sight, and Sadie didn't feel like running. She felt just . . . exhausted, silently begging the universe that her mother was here. That everything would work out. That the Messiah would fall, and that peace could resume. Everything seemed to have taken a downward spiral after the bombing of Garden High, but she'd come to Voxis as a result, still sticking with her best friend.

And now, disaster had struck again, but this time it was far bigger than a school bombing, which was already massive in-of itself.

Krashna had to go down. He'd been behind Stai- Caul's motives. Why Krashna did it, she didn't know. She didn't really care either. He'd taken so much innocence from her that day.

Then, to attack them, to kill Skeeter . . .

Nothing would satisfy her more than to bash the kid's skull in. It was better than what he deserved, honestly . . . okay, dark thought, but she just needed to vent her anger out some way. Sooner, preferably.

Sadie came to a stop at the front entrance of the hospital, bushes making up either side of the wide sidewalk to form a distinct walkway to the front door. Rubbing at her stiff fingers for a moment, Sadie stepped forward, but wasn't able to take that next step, pausing in place. She was nervous. Scared at what she may find. The hospital was looking deserted, and if her mother wasn't there, then there was hope. And if she was? Well . . . judging from red-black blood stains that lined some of the walls inside, it was clear that something had gone horribly wrong here.

Taking a deep breath, the teen stowed her fears, and continued.

The hospital was more than abandoned, it was a mess. Papers and files scattered the floors, bullet holes could be found in just about every room, alongside more old blood stains. The Messiah or someone had clearly been shooting people here, but why? It didn't make any sense. What would they have to gain? Alongside that, she couldn't see any bodies. The idea of her mom being here was seeming less and less likely by the second. Still, Sadie found herself continuing her search, making her way up to the fourth floor now.