Chapter 39

Frisk sat on the steps leading up to the front door of her house, leaned against Terrence, who had an arm around her. "Sorry that stuff happened. I didn't know Sans could be . . . uncool like that. What was the fight about, anyway?" Terrence asked. "—If you don't mind me asking, at least."

". . . It's kind of hard to explain. It's just . . . Well, it turns out that he doesn't trust me as much as I thought he did. He tricked me. He said he was going to give me a driving lesson, then told me he knew where a Messiah warehouse was. But when we got there . . ." she sighed, leaning further into him. "It was a lie. He knows how much I hate the Messiah. He knows how desperate I am to stop them. And he used it against me."

Terrence looked down, thinking for a moment as they enjoyed each other's company, before he spoke. "As your boyfriend, I feel obligated to take your side," he said slowly. "And I do. Don't get me wrong, but . . . I wouldn't let it come between you two. He made a mistake, just like the rest of us, you know? Sure, you need some space from him for a while, but at the end of the day, he still does care about you. These are just . . . these days are really weird."

". . . I don't want to be angry at him," Frisk admitted. "I just—it's been so hard. I still miss my mom. Every day. That's why I hate the Messiah so much. That and all the other awful stuff they pull. I just can't believe Sans would use it . . . just to test me."

Terrence bit the inside of his cheek, pulling her in a little closer. "It's gonna be okay. He'll come around and apologize soon enough, and then you'll feel better."

Frisk hoped he was right. "Can you stay the night?" she asked him.

"I don't see why not. I don't really have to be anywhere else," Terrence nodded.

Another silence befell the pair, and their gaze turned upward, the two staring at the night sky, full to the brim with countless stars. "Doesn't Asgore come back tonight?" Terrence finally asked.

Frisk nearly jumped up, eyes going wide, "Oh my gosh, yes! We should probably go see him out, what time is it?" she asked as Terrence whipped out his phone.

"Only 10:44," he replied.

"I'll call an uber," Frisk announced as Terrence stood and stretched. It had been a nice moment together, but he knew it wouldn't have lasted much longer. Frisk moved too much for that kinda stuff. Not to mention it was mostly his own fault, so he had no one but himself to blame.

Frisk's uber was quick to arrive once she'd called, and since the hospital wasn't terribly far, Terrence simply handed the driver (who looked scarily similar to Jabba the Hutt) a twenty dollar bill, accompanied by a goofy 'keep the change,' earning a stifled laugh from Frisk.

In no time at all, they'd arrived at the hospital, just in time to find Asgore in the process of leaving. He was wearing casual clothes now, instead of a hospital gown. She'd never seen him wear a button-up red plaid shirt with ripped denim jeans before, but she had to admit, he pulled the look off nicely.

"I was hoping to see you two," Asgore smiled widely as they approached him, and Frisk threw her arms around him in a hug.

"You should wear plaid more often. It looks good on you," she commented, making him chuckle loudly.

"I think so too. Real spiffy, hm? Doesn't make my butt look too big, does it?"

"Not at all," Frisk shook her head, unable to keep herself from smiling. And for the first time in days, her mind wasn't on the Messiah, not even a little bit. All she cared about was seeing her dad out of the hospital . . . although, she wasn't sure how things would be around the house now. Asgore couldn't possibly go back to work already, could he? He'd need to get a new car beforehand, of course . . .