Chapter 66

"Eat faster next time," he instructed. "This isn't a bed and breakfast." Gregory didn't say anything in reply, just waiting for whatever his next order was. "Walk with me," Krashna ordered, turning his back to Greg as he began to return down the tunnel they'd come through. Greg followed, disgusted by how obedient he was.

"I'm sure you're aware that Voxis High School homecoming is fast approaching," Krashna began. There was a long moment of silence, before Greg hesitantly replied with; ". . . Yes . . . ?"

With that, Krashna continued, "I need your help on that day," he said. "You see, our plans had to be revised because we underestimated our enemy. This time, however, we won't fail." He smirked. "We will be striking fast and hard, and leave the monsters without their powerful leaders. Your job is to assist me in killing your friends." Greg could feel his heart physically stop. His legs stopped moving, and he stood in place, eyes wide, before his heart started thumping again, faster than before. "Is that an issue?" Krashna asked, folding his arms.

"Of course it is. I'm not gonna help you kill my friends."

"I'm afraid you don't have a choice," Krashna replied. "Unless you're willing to let me arrange for Nikolai to pay a visit to your family." Greg's eyes widened. "Do you understand your situation yet?" Krashna's eyes glittered. "I'm making you pick between your friends and your family. Your pacifistic values have grown exhausting, Gregory. Someone is going to die based on your choice, and that's that. Give me your answer."

Krashna's words rang in his ears, and the sheer carelessness of it stung. The choice he was being forced to make was an absolutely brutal one. Not only that, but there was no situation where his friends wouldn't be attacked. The only choice he was truly being given here was choosing whether or not his family lived or died. It was a horrifying choice. If he submitted to his task under the Messiah, he would be betraying his only friends. The friends that had helped him through so much. The friends who had taught him to care about others—but his family would be safe. If he still tried to help his friends, then . . . well, he and his family would just be killed, and his friends would still be attacked.

"I can tell from your face that it's sinking in," Krashna nodded. "You're starting to realize how powerless you truly are. Cooperation guarantees the safety of your family. Failing to cooperate means they'll die." The white-haired boy placed a hand on his hip, cocking his head to the side. "It's a really simple choice. You have flawless grades, Gregory. You should be smart enough to see the obvious path."

"You mean the only choice I have," Gregory mumbled. Krashna didn't reply to this, but his smirk seemed to stretch wider. Greg had no idea how a kid as old as him had become so callous, cold, and cruel. It was hard to believe Trixie on the idea that this guy used to be any different. Feeling his stomach sink, he lowered his head, speaking to the floor. "What are you gonna make me do?"

"It's quite simple, really," Krashna replied. "I've made it a personal project of mine to eliminate your friends, Gregory. But you . . . I can tell you're different from them. Isn't it tiring? Feeling like you don't fit in? Doesn't it make your insides twist to think about what a fifth wheel you are?" Gregory felt more and more gross the more Krashna spoke. "Essentially, I just need you to get Terrence Anoma, Sadie Brexin, and Rian Dasterian in the same place when I say so."

Krashna then laughed quietly under his breath. "It's flawless. They won't suspect a thing."

It was like a nightmare come true. He could recall telling his friends he'd never choose the Messiah over them after he'd returned from visiting Lightway University. Now he was being forced to do just that, and he was powerless to oppose it. "You don't actually have to think about it, do you?" Krashna scoffed.

". . . I kinda have to do it," Greg sighed.

"Exactly. I'm glad you understand," Krashna nodded. "That wasn't so hard. Now, I'll show you the rest of our facilities."

Greg had to resist the urge to roll his eyes.

Krashna led him to the crew quarters, which was massive to say the least. There had to be at least five hundred beds, all apparently in use. Krashna assured him this wasn't where he was staying, as his role was more important than a grunt. Then he took him to the command quarters, where the lieutenants stayed. Once again, Krashna told him this wasn't where he was staying. Then he took him down a passageway that branched off the command quarters. It was a dark, seemingly rarely-used hall, where at the end of it, they came across the SPEC quarters. There were three rooms attached to the lounge room they'd entered, and it was all a little dusty.

"Every leader has a personal protégé," Krashna explained. "One they personally train. These students are known as SPEC soldiers. There are only ever three. One for each leader. You, Gregory, are my protégé."

Greg felt his blood run cold for what had to have been the hundredth time in the last twenty-four hours. He didn't want to be Krashna's protégé. The Messiah was planning to keep using him for their cruel acts, even after forcing him to help kill his closest friends in the world. These people disgusted him, but he couldn't exactly express it.

"Nothing? I expect you to become a lot more talkative once you're my official protégé, Gregory. I'm sure it won't take too long to mold you into my vision, but you'll have to make more of an effort. If not . . . well, I can always get rid of you. You may be special, but make no mistake- you are not invincible to us."

Greg swallowed. "Noted."

Krashna swept a finger across the central table, looking at the dust before wiping it away on his pants. "Clean this place up. You will be meeting the other SPECs shortly. They're just returning from a rather crucial mission out at the Red Sea. Really hush-hush, but I'm sure they'll tell you all about it if you ask nicely." With that, Krashna turned and left, leaving Greg alone to stew in his worry.

Gregory didn't feel like cleaning, but it was obvious by now that defying Krashna's will would only result in him- and others- getting hurt. Besides . . . if the Messiah was going to force him to stay in this place, he'd at least prefer for it not to be coated in dust.