Chapter 43

A terrible tune echoed through the detention center beneath Alphys' lab. It had no rhythm or . . . well, anything to it. The person making the music was Magnum, who was leaned against the wall of the cell she shared with Raptor, who was lying on the ground with a pillow over his head, a barrier of energy acting as their door, disallowing their escape. She held a harmonica in her hands, playing random tunes and shifting it about.

Magnum eyed her cellmate of sorts as she continued to badly play the instrument- he hadn't moved or said anything for hours, aside from rolling a bit to grab the pillow so he could try to ignore her. Something was up; usually, he would have lashed out by now. "What's eating you?" Magnum questioned, taking a brief pause.

For a few seconds, Raptor said nothing; but then, one word escaped from under the pillow. ". . . Realization."

It wasn't a response she'd been expecting, and she lowered the harmonica Alphys had given her for entertainment. "Oh. Uh . . . what kind of realization? Like the "we're totally dead" realization or the "man Alphys is actually pretty nice" realization?"

"If Alphys was nice, she wouldn't be having you torture me with that thing," Raptor jabbed, slowly sliding the pillow away from his face so his voice wouldn't be too muffled to understand. "What I mean is—I'm screwed. Like . . . completely."

"What do you mean? Aren't we both screwed?" Magnum raised an eyebrow.

"Nah. You're probably gonna be fine," Raptor shook his head. "The Messiah can't kill you. You're the big man's kid. But the rest of the lieutenants . . . I mean, usually, when we get replaced, it's because the last guy messed up and the leaders eliminated him."

"Come on, it's not that bad."

"That's easy for you to say, I don't have any options. I've screwed up twice now- if they find me, I'm a dead man. I can't exactly run away, either—I mean, where would I even live? Would a guy with feathers and scales even be able to fit in anywhere?"

"Yeah . . . I see what you mean. But maybe you're too paranoid," Magnum suggested, playing a squeaky note on the harmonica.

Raptor rolled his eyes, turning over and slamming the pillow back down over his head as Magnum stared at the harmonica in interest, before folding her arms and sliding down the wall into a seated position. "Look, if it makes you feel any better . . . I'll do what I can to vouch for you," she offered. "You're right, I'm the big man's kid. I have a lot of say. I could keep you out of trouble. Besides, it's sort of Warmth's fault you got captured, isn't it?"

". . . Why would you vouch for me?" Raptor questioned.

"We're friends, aren't we? Isn't that a good enough reason?"

"It should be, but you and I both know how the leaders are. You can only influence their choices so much . . . as for Warmth? I wouldn't be surprised if he twisted the story around to show himself in a better light. Wouldn't blame him, either."

"Can you at least try to be optimistic?" Magnum suggested. "C'mon, look at the positives: we're safe for now, aren't we? You get to chill down here with musical entertainment-"

"Don't remind me."

"-we have a nice lady taking care of us, and let's face it, the leaders aren't totally incapable of reason."

". . . I guess."

"So can you stand to be a teensy bit more positive, then?"

"I can try. But no promises."

"I'll take it," Magnum shrugged, satisfied, and began to play her harmonica again. Almost immediately, the sound of an engine running could be heard, and the elevator at the far end of the block opened up, Alphys stepping out, pushing a trolley.