Chapter 138

Upon stretching and sliding off of the not-so-comfortable bedding, Frisk felt her legs wobble beneath her as her sense of balance was off. Probably a side effect of being asleep for . . . well, she didn't know how long she'd been out, and there were no devices in this room to check. Not to mention how exhausted she'd felt at the time of passing out. If Frisk had to guess, she'd say that had been some of the greatest discomfort of her life, on top of the physical pain, but her body hadn't given up on her yet, and for that she was grateful. After about half a minute of preparation, she rose up to her feet. Her clothes weren't anywhere in sight, and instead she was dressed in a hospital gown. Once the numbness in her legs subsided, she felt an intense growl deep in her stomach, her hunger catching up with her. After she was done here . . . Grillby's had never sounded better. It probably wasn't open, though. Damn.

Managing to make her way out of her room, she found it was on the second floor of the Voxis Hospital, only two rooms down from where Asgore had been placed after he'd been shot. A nurse was already bee-lining toward her, her cherry-red hair pulled back into a tight bun, face appearing round and youthful, her eyes equally so and a general brown in color. Usually an indication of not having a unique SOUL. "You shouldn't be leaving your room yet," she warned, gently grabbing Frisk's arm in an attempt to steer her back inside.

"I'm fine. Is Asgore Dreemurr here?" Frisk replied.

"He was let out yesterday, actually. If you come back here to your room and take a seat, I'll bring you some food and water and answer any questions you have, but we can't allow patients to wander around right now."

Frisk reluctantly allowed the woman to drag her back to the room, glancing about to see there were more nurses and doctors than usual running about. "How come?" Frisk asked.

"With the Messiah's presence gone, a lot of people are coming in with injuries related to the occupation," the nurse explained. "After the . . . the Messiah "shut down" the hospitals and we lost Doctor Brexin and Doctor Halladay, we've had to call doctors and nurses in from all over the country to compensate."

Man. It really had been pretty bad. With the twist of her gut, Frisk connected that Dr. Brexin was Sadie's mother, and considering all the bodies . . . that was another thing Frisk needed to seek out. Demon. He'd killed both Sadie's mom and Frisk's, and the guy was still running around without anyone to stop him.

"Alright, I'll stay here for now. You're not too busy to answer my questions?" Frisk asked as the nurse took her back to the bed, where Frisk sat.

"I'm on my break right now, actually," she stated, "but I know who you are, and . . . what you've done. Suffice to say, I think you deserve to know what's been going on the last three days. I don't mind missing out on a break to tell you."

Frisk felt a little flattered, but she was paying more attention to the 'three days' bit. Has it really been that long? "What's your name?" Frisk asked.

"Leah. Leah Hansen," the nurse smiled, before she departed to retrieve Frisk some food and water.

Frisk had to admit, she didn't like the Voxis City hospital at all. The whole setting just got under her skin, and she wasn't really sure why. Frisk knew it was a good place full of good people who did everything they could to help others, but . . . well, maybe she associated it with all the pain she'd felt after Asgore had gotten attacked and sent here. She'd spent quite a few nights here during that time, some of them sleepless. Frisk didn't mind sticking around for a while longer, though, especially with the promise of food, but even after she left, what exactly was her plan? She had no idea, the options were vast. She was still completely uncertain as to whether she wanted to go after the other sectors of the Messiah. At the same time, after everything that had happened, the thought of returning to school and living the way she had been for the past few years sounded a bit silly. Comforting, but silly.