Chapter 43: Merry Christmas

It's that time of the year.

Anakin walks down the cold streets of Musutafu at night, wearing a leather jacket to protect his body from the cold. His eyes gaze at the colorful bright lights that litter everywhere he goes. But he has not come out to simply gaze and marvel at the decorations. He is out to learn more about Christmas.

From what Anakin was able to learn, Christmas is an annual festival holiday celebrated around the world. People get together with their family and friends, and children open their presents to see their favorite toys. But it would seem that many people nowadays had forgotten what Christmas was truly about.

The birth of Jesus Christ.

During his free time, Anakin was able to learn about who this Jesus was. From what he was able to learn, Jesus is the central figure of Christianity, his followers believe him to be the Son of God and the long-awaited Messiah.

Anakin found himself somewhat similar to Jesus. Both were born from a virgin mother, both were prophesied as a messiah-like figure, and both had died...

But why does he not feel the Christmas spirit, or at least what people call it? He doesn't feel any different than before. All of his years as Darth Vader, all of his years as Darth Sidious' slave, had deprived him of any feelings of joy for his galaxy's holidays, including life day.

Anakin snapped out of his deep thoughts when he arrived at his location. In front of him, stands the city's old church. He had come here to see if he can feel the Christmas spirit, starting with the holiday's origin.

The Chosen One steps inside the church. Inside, are rows of seats facing a huge wooden cross and the choir. Very few people are present in the gathering for the church's choir. The people inside sit quietly, lowering their heads to pray. Anakin finds himself a seat and stares at the cross for a minute. He lowers his head like the people to see if he can feel anything or maybe feel the presence of a higher being.

Anakin hears the door entrance to the church open up, followed by a pair of footsteps that stop next to him. He looks to his left to see a young man wearing a hoodie jeans, a red scarf around his neck, and a pair of gloves.

???: May I sit next to you?

The man asked Anakin out of the blue. It was somewhat sketchy to him, having a stranger coming out of nowhere and wanting to sit next to you of all places. Deciding to play along and see where it leads, Anakin allows it.

Anakin: Sure.

The man gives him a small smile and takes his seat. Both men sit awkwardly as they look up at the cross. Anakin senses no danger or ill intentions from the stranger, but he senses something odd within him. The presence he feels within the stranger feels... welcoming.

???: Come here often?

The stranger asked, obviously trying to start small talk.

Anakin: No. First time.

???: What brings you here then, if it doesn't hurt to ask?

Anakin: I... I come here to seek something I had not felt for a while, or at least something familiar.

???: I see...

Anakin: I never celebrated Christmas before. It feels so alien to me, not that I'm against it.

???: Maybe I can help.

Anakin raises an eyebrow at the stranger's offer coming out of the blue.

Anakin: By all means.

???: Tell me, what is it exactly you seek?

Anakin looked back at his life, remembering how he was destined to bring balance to the force. He had so little time to enjoy himself as a Jedi and a Sith. He never had felt the joy of celebrating a holiday back in his galaxy.