Merry Christmas, Grandad

It was Christmas day.

"IT'S CHRISTMAS!" Harry shouted as he ran into Hannah's room and leapt on top of her.

"Jesus, Harry," Hannah said sleepily, pushing her brother off and onto the space next to her. He lay quietly giving her a minute to wake up properly.

"Merry Christmas, Han," Harry said when she was a bit more awake.

"Merry Christmas, Harry," she said, hugging him.

They lay chatting and laughing for a while. After a bit, Grandad poked his head around the door.

"Merry Christmas," he said.

"Merry Christmas, Grandad," Hannah and Harry said in unison.

Christmas was brilliant. Loads of the family came over including their Mum. Harry's relationship with her was very strained, they had barely spoken since he moved out, but they made a conscious effort to get on. Christmas was for spending time with family after all.

Harry's main present from Hannah and his Grandad was a pair of Nike Air Force 1 '07s.

"Thank you so much," Harry said as he engulfed them both into a big hug.

The whole day was perfect and by the time he went to bed he was very happy.

After the busy day he'd had, he couldn't sleep. He went downstairs to get some water and when he got into the kitchen he bumped into Hannah.

"Alright?" he asked, hoisting himself to sit up on the sideboard.

"Can't sleep. You?" Hannah said.

"Neither."

Hannah climbed up onto the sideboard opposite her brother and the two of them stayed chatting until about 2 in the morning.

***

The Christmas break went quickly. It was the 3rd of January, Georgia's birthday. Harry sent her a message wishing her a good day and then went onto Instagram and posted on his story. He put a picture of the two of them pulling stupid faces at the camera and put a message over the top that said 'Happy birthday G! You might be another year older, but I doubt you'll get any wiser!'

Georgia reposted it and then suddenly a whole load of people began following his account. It was weird that people wanted to follow him just because he knew G, but he wasn't really complaining. His account now had 1000 follows.

***

School started back and Harry was happy to see his mates. Sam was always his closest friend, but he was also mates with a lot of the boys. Recently though, he'd been getting a lot closer with Elodie, and his mates certainly noticed.

"You so love her," one of his mates, Izaak, teased him.

"Shut up. No, I don't," Harry said. He didn't mind being teased and maybe there was a slight truth behind their words. Not that he would ever admit it.

"Look he's blushing he so does," Sam said, noticing the reddening of his best mate's face.

"Whose side are you on?" Harry asked, laughing.

They all carried on bantering and teasing each other until lunch finished.

"Maths is so shit," Harry said as he practically dragged his feet along the floor.

"God I really don't want to go," Sam agreed. He was walking just as slow as Harry and at the pace they were going they would definitely be late.

"Should we just not turn up?" Izaak suggested. Harry thought about it. He hadn't bunked since starting this school but at his old one he did it all the time.

"Yeah, why not?" Harry said after a bit of thought. Sam didn't want to be left out, so he agreed and the three of them went to find a spot to stay for an hour. They found a decent one and spent the whole time having a laugh and taking the piss out of each other.

The hour was over and the three of them left the school like everyone else was doing. They were almost at the gates when someone shouted their names loudly from behind them.

"Sam Allwood, Harry Hampton and Izaak Khan. Get here right now!"

The three of them froze and slowly turned around. Mr Hall was standing there, and he did not look happy.

"Alright Sir?" Harry asked, uncertainly, trying to act natural.

"No, I am not alright. Would you like to explain to me where you have been for the past hour?"

"Not really," Harry answered.

"I suggest you do," Mr Hall said, sternly. His bald spot had gone bright red in his anger and the boys noticed. Harry had to keep his head down, knowing that if he made eye contact with anyone, he would definitely lose it.

Mr Hall went on a whole rant and right when he was at his peak Harry made the mistake of looking up. His eyes connected with Sam's and the pair burst out laughing. With both of his friends laughing, Izaak laughed as well, and the trio couldn't contain themselves.

Their lack of care for the situation only annoyed Mr Hall more.

"You three are unbelievable! I will be calling home, and not only will you make up the time you missed with Miss Cotterill, but you'll do an afterschool with me for your lack of respect."

The boys were trying, unsuccessfully to pull it together. Seeing that he wouldn't get anywhere today, he told the boys to go home and visit him in the morning.

When Harry made it home, his Grandad was waiting for him.

"What the bloody hell are you playing at?" Grandad asked, angrily. Harry ignored him, kicking off his shoes and taking his coat off.

"Don't ignore me, you stupid boy!"

"I'm not stupid," Harry said. He made to walk out the room, but his Grandad's hand was on his shoulder.

"Yes, you are if you think you can walk away from me," Grandad said, coldly. The look on his face said not to mess with him but Harry was in a bit of a hyper mood so messing with him was exactly what he planned on doing.

"Why would you not go to your maths lesson? You aren't above education Harry. You need to go to your lessons and learn things. If you want to be successful in your life knuckle down and get on with it. Suck up that life's not fair and do as you're blooming well told," Grandad shouted. Some people believe that shouting at kids is wrong. Grandad was not one of those people.

"It's just one maths lesson. I'm not doomed for the rest of my life," Harry said.

"You blooming well will be doomed if you bunk off again," Grandad threatened.

"Is that a threat?" Harry asked.

"Yes."

"You can't threaten me."

"Oh yes, I can. Now seriously listen to what I have to say. You aren't 'hard' or 'cool' or whatever it is you say. You're a stupid kid who needs to buck his ideas up," Grandad said. He was angry and the whole time he was speaking he was pointing at Harry.

Being called a stupid kid turned something in Harry and he began arguing back. This argument went back and forth, their voices rising with every sentence.

After a solid 10 minutes of shouting at each other, Harry finally said the words that tipped his Grandad over the edge.

"Shut the fuck up," Harry shouted.

"How dare you!?" Grandad shouted back, "Get upstairs this instant!"

"FINE!" Harry screamed. He stormed out the room, slamming the door in anger on his way out. He walked up to his room and kicked his bed in frustration.

***