Chapter 3: Ever After High

Alistair and Bunny and I were outside together behind the castle in the field, playing chess in the early morning where the sun was beginning to rise. It was me against Alistair. Of course, I was going to win the match. I always do. But it is always fun to watch others try to beat me in my own game.

Especially Alistair, he is always exceptionally decent at this game. It made me smile to see him think he could finally beat me. But I still always came on top in the end.

Bunny would watch us play against each other and cheer us both on to win. However she still always rooted for Alistair. I didn't blame her. He never got a single win. There has been a chance where he almost would, but in the end, I would always beat him. But then, I contoured his Queen with my knight.

"Checkmate," I said with a smirk. He gasped as he looked down at the chess board astonished that I had won again for the seventh time in a row.

"Again? How?" Alistair exclaimed.

"Hello, daughter of Chess." I said with a smile as I let out a small laugh.

"Okay, Izzy." He said with a smile in return. "So, what adventure are we going to do today?"

"Hmm, we could go visit the flowers," Bunny insisted while staring earnestly at Alistair. He turned to look over at me for an answer.

"We could," I said deep in thought not liking the idea. The flowers never really liked me and I didn't feel like getting an earful from them today. "Or we could maybe go to the library and possibly search for a way to Ever After. We haven't done that in a while."

"That seems like a good idea," Alistair agreed so we headed towards the library. We all got up and put the game away, Alistair sticking it in his satchel. But, apparently, we were caught by the red cards once again as we were completely surrounded by them. I let out a despairing sigh, hating this so much. I was sent to my room and the other two were with the Red Queen talking in her throne room while I was sent in my prison cell room once again. It sucked.

I groaned in annoyance as I collapsed on my bed. The simplest things! The simplest things gets us into trouble! This is beyond mad! We weren't even doing anything wrong. I swear I think my aunt just has something completely against me for no reason and wants to ruin our fun. Being sent in a prison cell? It was extreme even for my tastes. My mom wouldn't do this to Lizzie. Then again I wouldn't be so sure, she is pretty strange herself. Even then I still don't know every intention of my mother.

"Crabs and feathers!" I cried out angrily. I looked out the window to see Bunny and Alistair being escorted outside the castle by the red cards. They'll come for me soon enough.

As I waited, I began to play chess with myself since I had nothing better to do. I've been playing myself three times now, and they still didn't arrive. With an annoyed sigh, I began to play another match. I played another after another, waiting hours for my friends to arrive and come and rescue me. They were taking so long, I was beginning to think that they weren't coming at all. It was unusual, this would never happen. We would always hang out especially when the stars would come out. Those were when things became really magical.

My heart had sunk in my stomach, dissolved. It's been too long. I had been worried, my stomach tying in knots wondering where they could possibly be. To me I wondered if they were even coming at all.

Hearing shackled armor coming down through the halls, I heard the footsteps echo through the prison. I heard a metal tray sliding through the bottom of the gated slit.

"I didn't realize they still haven't come for you," I heard the man say. The voice was familiar, but I didn't dare to turn around. My heart was broken and shattered, abandoned. "I'm. . . I'm sorry."