Chapter 20: August March

"What are you doing here?" I asked the boy who was munching on a few popcorns at a time. He didn't seem fazed by my presence as he grinned at me while munching on the snack.

"Could ask the same about you, love." he said in his thick Australian accent. I rolled my eyes.

"Doesn't matter. I'm leaving anyways. Have fun eating your popped grass corn." I said while turning away from him, walking back towards the school to go back to the dorms. I grimaced to myself, not wanting to face Bunny still. I just wanted to avoid her entirely. Is that so wrong?

"Wait! What were you doing in that rock over there?" August asked me pointing at the rock as I turned back around to face him. I took a deep breath to regain my composure. I must not overreact and become hostile. Gotta calm down. . .

"It's a rock of many other rocks. You wouldn't be interested." I said as I turned back around continuing my path back to school. I heard his footsteps beat on the ground as he met up with me keeping my pace as he walked along side of me. "What is it? Got something to say?"

"No, just figured you could use some company. You're always alone." August said and that made me lose it. I let out a frustrated groan as I stomped the ground taking him off guard.

"Why is everybody saying that?" I shouted aggressively. "Yes, I'm alone! Thanks for stating the obvious, August. Look at Isabella, the loner with only one friend that cares about her. And if he's not she's by herself moping and sulking. I get it! I'm a loser."

"Whoa," said August putting a hand on my arm which I shrugged away. I didn't want his comfort. I needed my best friend. "No one is saying you're a loser. Where are you getting that from? Is someone bullying you? If they are tell me and I'll pummel them to the ground."

"No one is bullying me," I shook my head turning away from him while crossing my arms over my chest. "I'm just tired of everyone saying that I'm always alone. I have no friends. To stay away from Alistair. To leave things alone. I'm just tired of if all. I'm sorry. I don't mean to put this all on you."

"Who's telling you to stay away from him?" August asked me. I shook my head not wanting to answer that. "Well, whether you tell me or not, they don't know the things you've been through together since childhood. . . you losing your dad. . . Or the riddles that almost costed his life. . . challenging foes. . . They're not going to get that. Izzy, look at me. Don't let them talk that way about you and him. You both have been through so much together. Don't let their words get to you. Your friendship is stronger than iron and gold. Not even the finest blade can cut through that. You gotta remember that, okay?"

"Yeah, you're right." I said with a short nod. August smiled at me before ruffling my hair.

"That's my girl," he said with a toothy grin. "Come on, lets head back to the school. I wanna show you something. I think you're gonna like it."

August took my hand and led me all the way back to school. The second we hit school grounds, August turned into his bunny form. His caramel coat was almost hidden by his little green checkered jacket. He hopped away in the bushes egging me on to follow him. I sighed not really finding this amusing as he was. I followed him past the bushes and through a pathway. In the dark I could see lights blaring in the distance and a funky tune playing towards the colored lights.

August transformed back into his human self as he pulled me along to see the exciting colors closely. And there it was. It was a birthday party. Hunter's nonetheless. He was dancing on a pedestal with his girlfriend Ashlyn Ella. The upbeat music drastically changed into a slow tune. Immediately everyone turned to a partner and began dancing with their bodies touching and hands around one another. I even saw Bunny and Alistair dancing together in a corner.