Chapter 32: A Closer Bond

I tossed and turned all night, not able to get comfortable in the bed. As comfortable as it usually is, I couldn't get myself in a good position to try and fall asleep. Chase was already knocked out cold in the hammock he built while I struggled for the past hour or so. It felt like forever until I was finally tucked in rightly, dozing off to sleep finally. That was, until an alarm went off, blaring a loud siren noise and bright flashing lights throughout the room, causing Chase and I to startle, us both sitting up from our sleeping position.

Chase got himself untangled from the mess of the hammock, jumping to his feet and reaching for his armor on the near side of him.

I blinked, confused. What was happening exactly?

Chase carefully clasped himself into his armor, sleep deprived and tired as he went to go grab his sword.

"What's happening?" I asked him over the loud blaring siren.

"The castle's been breeched!" Chase shouted. "I have to go quickly! You need to stay here. The siren will turn off shortly. I must go now. If anyone comes to my room and you don't know them, or even if you do, hide!"

"Okay!" I said with a quick nod. Chase ran to the door, opening it. "WAIT!" He turned back to me, eagerly knowing he had to go. "Please, be safe, alright?"

Chase grinned. "As you wish."

The door was slammed behind him. He was right. It wasn't long before the loud sirens went off along with flashing red lights. However, Chase was taking awhile. For a moment I began to worry. There was no telling if he was dead or alive. In that stricken moment, I began to panic, pacing the floor back and forth with the worst thoughts entering my mind of the worst case scenario. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if something horrible happened to him. It was probably at least a couple of hours before the door opened, Chase sluggishly entering the bedroom with his helmet under his arm.

I gasped, my feet planted where I stood, staring at the sight of him. He was covered in scorch marks and blood, hopefully that wasn't his.

"Chase!" My feet bolted up to him, taking him by the collar of his armor as I examined the marks on his face. He blinked slowly, his tired eyes meeting mine. "Let's get you out of this armor, alright?" With a sigh, he didn't complain when I began to retract his chest piece from his body.

I helped him take a seat on the bed, pulling off his armor as his exhausted body was too tired to do anything else.

"You really didn't have to help," said Chase.

"Oh please, I wanted to." I said before helping him remove the rest. I noticed his back, seeing a big bruise near his shoulder blade along with harsh burn lines underneath his shirt that wasn't exactly white anymore. He was bloody and scorched. "You're hurt. . ."

"Ah, it's not too bad," said Chase casually before I pressed a hand on it, causing him to tense and jerk away. "Okay, maybe it is. But I'll be fine. Nothing some proper sleep won't fix."

"Chase, let me help you." I said before getting up to put the rest of his armor away on the mannequin before reaching to get a wet rag and some alcohol.

"No, no need." Chase tried to stop me, but I wasn't listening. I was already rummaging through the bathroom sink, finding a bucket and a couple of rags. I couldn't find any alcohol, until I remembered we still had the wine Chase had brought into the room. I grabbed it while the water rose in the bucket before carrying everything over to the bedroom where Chase was laying down on the bed, heavily breathing as his wounds looked swollen and pulsating.