Chapter 15: Broken

Chapter 15: Broken

Walking out of the lunchroom was nerve wrecking. Everyone was staring at me as I went to put away my tray and leave. Sheesh, tough crowd. Guess no one has ever really shouted at a teacher before. Even if she was my mother, I had no right to disrespect her like that. I humiliated her in front of everyone. Sure, people would assume otherwise that I just got myself in trouble. But could I really when she's my mother? It's kind of our normal as sad as it sounds.

And the weird part was that I had missed her when she wasn't home. Now it's just. . . Back to how they were. Usually people would think mothers and daughters would get along, especially if they were royalty. Truth is that wasn't true at all. At least not in my case. I do love her honestly, but our relationship is most likely long gone and out the rabbit hole.

Leaving the castleteria with Alistair we departed our ways so he could head to his next class and I went off to go find someone to find some answers. I needed to know the truth. If what I was told was honest and real, then I had to know for myself.

I went straight to the library knowing that's where he'd usually be about. It took a while to finally find it because of my awful tour guide didn't show me around at all. I still don't really know where some of my classes are. At least not straight away. It's very confusing. Wonderland was much easier than this. There was a riddle for everything. Topsy turvy rooms and different ways of travel and the exciting personalities that surround all of Wonderland was fascinating. This place was a bit boring.

Upon finding the library, I opened the large doors which slammed open loudly causing the ugly stepsisters to hiss at me telling me to be quiet. I rolled my eyes ignoring them as I scanned the library. It was pretty average in size. I missed mine at home. All the little crooks and nannies were full of enjoyment with their mysterious words of wonder and fun. I wonder if there's any similarity to that in here.

At first sight, I found Vic Jabbers sitting at a desk with a couple of books in front of him with one propped up on the others to hold it in place. That's smart. Considering he was the only person I knew in the library I decided to make my way to him. He hadn't noticed my presence until I sat across from him. His bright, dangerous eyes glanced up at me before looking back down at the pages presented in front of him.

I decided to break the silence. "What's up, Vic?"

"Reading. Can't you tell?" Vic said slightly annoyed that I was bothering him.

"Sorry, no need to get your fangs twisted." I said as he rolled his eyes at my commentary. "I just wanted to know if you've seen Dexter."

"Who? Your boyfriend?" Vic said in a sassy manner. He took a strand of my hair and twirled it while slyly smirking at me in a taunting way. "I thought August was your boyfriend? Or perhaps, Alistair? There's a lot of A's on your list, but darling, go alphabetical at least."

"Vic, come on." I said pulling my hair away from him. "They're not my boyfriends. August is my friend and Alistair is my best friend, got it? Dexter is my boy—"

"-friend, got it," said Vic with an eye roll. "Which doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't you go for someone you already know well enough and not with a practical stranger for only thirty minutes a day which you hardly know?"

"It isn't like that, I —"

"-Love them, I get it. It's in every fantasy girl's reality. Particularly in this realm, is it not? Becoming more like them, aren't you?" He was taunting me making me blush. It was all over his smug face. He was enjoying humiliating me.

"Vic, stop it." I frowned at him having enough of his little game. "Have you seen Dexter or not?"

Vic sighed ceasing his torment. "Perhaps. What's in it for me?"