Chapter 14: Confide

Chapter 14: Confide

Alistair Wonderland and I had gone out to the Mad Hatter's tea shoppe. We sat down and had a few cups of tea while having a long conversation with Maddie's father about how a pound of feathers is the same weight as a pound of sugar. He always was such as interesting man.

After our visit to the Mad Hatter, Alistair and I decided to do a bit of strolling around through the area since we never really got much of a tour. We figured a bit of exploring might do us some justice around this new place. It's wasn't hard to get used to, but then again every now and a while I still get confused. Their logic was weird. It made sense back at home which I still kinda missed. I wished everything was back to normal. My home. . . My room. . . My mother. . . Then again she was always stuck up with her high and mighty self.

I just didn't like it at all. Not with the curse over my home. I just wanted everything to go back to normal. But I was here in Ever After. And everyone seemed to enjoy and like it, apparently more than I do. I wanted nothing more than to be back at home running through the forests and talking to the flowers and hanging out with Alistair and Lizzie with the tulips or even the red queen's cards. They play a really good game of cards hence of what they are. But as the princess of games, particularly chess, that's just how I preferred it. My mother was more interested than ruling than playing with me. Sometimes I wonder if she loved her position as Queen more than her position as a mother. Then again, I like to believe that she loves me. Just in a strange, non-conforming way of motherhood. It's confusing. . .

Alistair and I went to the outskirts of the town ending up on Looking Glass Beach. We sat near the shore on the sand and stared at the waves. There was nothing else better to do anyways besides getting caught if we were around school grounds and not in our classes.

"Do you ever wish to go back to Wonderland?" Alistair asked me as he stared off at the horizon. He dug his toes in the sand as it relaxed him.

"All the time. It's okay being here. . . But I miss home. Terribly. With the curse and all, it's just. . ." I didn't know what else to say. I was at a loss for words. I bit my lip, uncertainty rivaling my mind. "I miss it. Not with the curse and with my mother and my home. But, the adventures and our friends all together are where we're supposed to be."

"At least the classes we're actually fun there," said Alistair.

"Ha! Right? Except with Courtly always trying to swoon you. Ugh, the nerve of her, am I right? You're way too good for her." I said with a cross of my arms.

"We should probably get back soon. Lunch should start about the time we get there." Alistair said.

"Only if you answer me this," I said with a smile. He sat up, leaning over towards me waiting for me to speak.

"They sat closely together as Alistair was eager to hear whatever Isabella had to ask him. The atmosphere was intense — she waited, tempted to finally —"

"Will you guys cut it out!" I shouted loudly to the narrators who always had to interrupt such a moment. Geez. Sometimes I forget they're even there.

"Are the narrators talking to you again?" Alistair asked.

"More like talking about us," I said softly. "But back to my question: why were you so upset earlier?"

"It. . . it doesn't matter." Alistair said looking away. I frowned, my eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Alistair, please — you're my best friend." I said irrationally putting a hand on his. "We tell each other everything."

Alistair sighed, finally giving in as he turned to me. "You know. . . I just miss you. You spending more time with your boyfriend Dex. I. . . I just want there to still be room for me."