Chapter 44: Lily's Requiem

For the past few days, it's been a bit weird between Chase and me since our little expedition out on the sea. Thankfully we've mostly stayed in the house keeping to ourselves. We've been pretty quiet toward each other as we both did our own things separately.

Maybe it was because of his dream. There was no telling what it was about. Surely, it was very much different from mine regardless of how real it felt. It was only a dream to us. Nothing at all happened between us. Yet, why did it feel as though it did?

Chase was busy studying in the little library and doing as much research as possible on my little curse/destiny thing. He's been avoiding me with doing that in his time while I've been practicing my abilities outside on the top floor of the lighthouse.

I've been trying to get a better grasp on my powers ever since I almost blew up a teapot out of anger. It was entirely my fault. I haven't been careful as I was trying to brew a cup of tea but the stove burner wouldn't work. My patience wore thin and then the next thing I know a hole is blasted into the stove. The tea kettle went flying and Chase luckily caught it before it would've smashed into the floor into a million tiny pieces.

We were four days away from the Queen's birthday. It was giving us less and less time to prepare for the upcoming date. Still, needless to say of how unprepared we were, mentally I was set and ready to give up the throne. It had to be done, and the only way to do that was to announce it to the Red Queen and tell her the truth of my mother.

My hand balled into a fist as an explosion of white light blasted into the air. My thoughts were full of Chase. He wouldn't get out of my head. More like I couldn't get him out of mine. My head was trying to process that the whole predicament between us wasn't even real. It couldn't be avoided, and neither could he be either. There had to be something that would distract me enough to avoid the whole confrontation entirely.

What was wrong with me? There was no time to talk about my feelings. We had to worry about an all-out war that could happen if not given the perfect opportunity to dispute the aggressions between my land from Wonderland.

My hands pulled away from the railing that I was clinging on to. The metal had turned hot as it was blistering with a red heat that remained from my touch. There was no awareness with that happening. Instead, I gathered my senses taking a deep breath to calm myself down.

"Hey."

The random noise made my heart jump. Light blasted from my fingertips in different directions as my body spun to see Enoch standing on the other side of the railing from the opposite side of me.

"Geez, you nearly gave me a heart attack." I said with an exasperated sigh. My hand released from my chest as I must've been clinging onto my heart from the sudden panic.

Enoch laughed heartedly as his wings retracted back into his body as he took a step down from the railing onto the metal platform. He put his arms around me before pulling away from me.

"How's your arm?" I asked.

Enoch shrugged carelessly before throwing open the glass door to head inside where I followed after. "Much better actually. I heal quickly. But forget about me," he stopped from taking a step on the staircase before twirling around to face me with a glamorous grin to his cheeks, "how are you, Izzie? Anything new and spicy to tell?"

The color in my face drained. Nervously biting at my bottom lip, I turned away cautiously.

"N-not really." I said already embarrassed with my own thoughts. "Chase and I are mostly relaxing and having fun. Thank you again for letting us stay here. I don't know what I would've done if we had no where else to go."