Chapter 22: Bad Things Happen

Alistair and I went our separate ways. He went to his next class which I didn't bother going. Not like I really ever go to classes anyways. There was no point for me. There was no need or want. I had no desire to be here. I wanted to go home. There was no capable way of doing so, but just being there was way better than being trapped here.

Perhaps I should play along? I'm with all my friends here, even though none of us seem to hang out really all together. But when have we ever? We've always spent our lives apart, including Lizzie Hearts and me. We never really hang out on our own. That needs to be changed. I miss her. Our friendship used to be like a knot on a finger, but it kept feeling like it was being untied. Or in another case, loosened.

I headed to lunch. Everyone seemed to be going in at the same time in a large line where the lunch ladies were. I grabbed some food and took a seat where August, Jinx, and Vic were all sitting together at a table near the middle. August gleamed at me, a grin at his rosy cheeks and a wave at his fingertips as he waved me over. Everyone else seemed disinterested of my presence. I took a seat with them who didn't really bother welcoming me. August was the only one to give me a smile. Jinx scowled with a growl, her fangs poking from her velvet lips.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked her.

"My roommate Mai woke me up at four in the morning by some weird ancient ritual talking to some stupid stone dragon." Jinx said annoyed, grabbing her spaghetti angrily with her fork as she put it in her mouth.

"How awful," Vic rolled his eyes at his sister. "At least you didn't get woken up by August talking to himself strategizing and making more traps. Do you know how long it took me to get honey out of my hair?"

"Oh, grow a pair. At least you finally smell decent for once." August said with a laugh. "It was all in some good fun!"

"Geez, and I thought my morning was bad." I said taking a bite out of my granola. "Bunny had carrot tops all over the floor and it hurts, ya know? Stepping on them is like little pointy buttons. Not to mention her griping and complaining about me."

"Oh boohoo." Jinx said mockingly. "Princess didn't enough beauty sleep? Get over yourself, Izzy. No one cares."

"Yeah." Vic said following along with her.

"I thought we were all comparing about our horrible mornings. I can't do the same?" I said with confusion in my voice.

"No." Jinx said getting up with her tray. "You're one of them. The better ending of the stories. You're the good guys that have it all in the end. A castle, a crown, and the ultimate breakfast in the morning. Do you know what we get? Death. That's right. We die! That's our penalty. And what? You get kidnapped or something? Big deal. At least you get to live."

"I saved your lives!" I said getting to my feet. A few heads turned in our direction because of my loudness.

"Oh, gee thanks, my hero!" Jinx said rolling her eyes with a sinister laugh. She was downgrading me. "What could I ever do without you, my queen? Saving us from damnation? My butt! You did nothing but take us out of a cage."

"It was better than leaving you there." I said back. "They were going to hurt you!"

"Puh-lease." She rolled her eyes. "My mother would have gotten me out in a zilch."

"You mean us." Her brother Vic corrected.

"My point is that it doesn't matter, Iz! You're not a hero. So, stop acting like one." Jinx growled at me, taking a sip of her juice before setting it down angrily.